What have we learned from treasure hunting?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
What's the most important thing you've learned, or the biggest surprise you realized, etc. from treasure hunting?

Besides how addicting/expensive/time consuming it is, IE. stuff you learned about the rest of the world because of treasure hunting.

For example, a major thing I realized is more people should get their name/email/etc engraved on their expensive jewelry and keychains. :)
(I certainly will)

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Lasivian said:
What's the most important thing you've learned, or the biggest surprise you realized, etc. from treasure hunting?

....just how much freakin' valuables people manage to lose.

Jay

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
I've really developed a love for history and research, which is something I was always bored to death with while I was in school.

Mike

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far some people will go to go back on a reward.

How far prople will go to claim something you found when they have no legal claim on it.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most important part of treasure hunting is to check your holes twice.

fccdfed

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've learned that I'm delicious, at least I am according to the mosquitos.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
When treasure seeking becomes more than a hobby it invariably broadens your
appreciation of history, geneology, geography, art in the form of relics from the
age of master craftsmen. Each discovery leads to another interest to explore.
Plus it keeps you young at heart.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How short life is.

Each old site reminds me when I imagine what it once was, to what it is now.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
As a relic hunter I dig mostly disgarded or lost everyday things...

I get excited to dig a broken and rusty 130 year old wrench, but have no problem throwing away a broken one year old wrench! :tard:

I think "respect for those who've gone before us" is the thing I've learned to appreciate the most.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How awesome people were back in the day. Folks actually got out and did stuff...before convenience stores, cell phones and 911 to the rescue.

Most friends think I'm nuts for going out into the Mojave Desert...they say it is too dangerous and scary. Yet check Google Earth and see how criss-crossed the roads are off the main highways. Nearly all were rutted before the main drags were paved. My youngest daughter took her first drive in the ruts of Model-T's...ruts that run parallel to the original Route 66.

I am in awe of the generations that passed before us. They were absolutely courageous.

And like Iron Patch said...it is all a reminder on how short life is.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hmmmm. Admissions and confessions... ;D

I am now a fair weather, shallow, surface hunter, in parks, schools, and playgrounds.

As a rule, I enjoy every bit of the time I spend outdoors in these wonderful places.

Best
Recovers Many Pull Tab Relics

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
how old i am since most things found i probably used and are now way over antique in age. remember being young going to old antique stores and finding cool things. now the stuff in antique stores are things i used in every day life.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How disrespectful others can be about this hobby because they simply don't understand why somebody would do it.

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Ok my fiance may be shocked that I would write this but the most important thing I think I have learned is to save money. She would think right now that , that statement makes me a big fat liar but here me out.

I have started to hord change and think about what else I could do with it. It doesnt get put into an ash tray or lay under the car for a month before I pick it up. Suddenly I want to pick up ever cent to look at it and squirrel it away. The money I have spent on two detectors, pin pointer, diggers, and a set of garret gold pans is peanuts compared to the money that I would have wasted and not cared about.

Suddenly I care about the pennies!

anyone else?

Surfin

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't trust your so called freinds

S

stefen

Learn what your physical limitations are or those that have been asterbated by the hobby...ie., shoulder and arm muscle damage, knee displacement, bee stings, dog bites, ticks, and the like. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread