Do native americans collect their own artifacts?

lenrely

Nov 19, 2007
I work in an archaeology lab where I identify projectile points among other things. I am also a collector, and it's obvious to me some of the best prehistoric surface collection is to be found on indian reservations. Is this private ground perused by native am. collectors? Or do they consider finds an institutional matter belonging to the tribe, or do they simply ignore them like most people? I know that many reservations are not anywhere near the tribe's original land. Has anyone seen a collection personally found and retained by a member of its own culture? Just curious.

Len

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
yes, some do. Just like us European origin folk: some do care/collect our past items, others could care less.

As far as laws, it would vary from location to location. For those locations that might be scrutinizing, you have to be real careful, because if you'll notice ARPA was written very specifically in a way that is easily applied to indian stuff. And the extension of applying ARPA to metal/european finds is much more disconnected (yes it has been attempted by implication, but it is not as spelled out specifically, as it is to "native american" stuff). I know collectors who go out to the deserts in remote parts of AZ, NV, CO, etc.. and search drywashes, etc... for arrowheads. I don't know specifically what type public land they're in (BLM, State, Fed, county, etc...), but their so far out in the middle of nowhere, that they don't see another soul anyhow. But if you were specifically inside a reservation land, and made enough waves, be careful, as some of them are real militant in their attitude.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to school with many Native Americans and I can tell you that your questions have many answers. In my later adult years I knew of Native Americans that had beautiful collections. Partly because they had family stories of where their ancestors had gathered for, 'functions' and thus knew where to look. Then again I know Native Americans that won't touch an arrowhead lying on the ground. Bad karma. I never knew of too much stuff on reservations, they aren't really that old. Most all reservations are off limits to be metal detected :( Tom_in_CAs' last sentence in his post is for real. What I have personally see collections of by many Native Americans are leather shoes, gloves, shirts, pants, and baby carriers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread