NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
has anyone ever tried this for tick removal, if so, did it work for you? I found this tip in MHRS newsletter ( Midwest Historical Research Society) in Chicago, Ill. TICK REMOVAL: I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it’s sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I’ve used it (and that was frequently), and it’s much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me. Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can’t see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor’s wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn’t reach it with the tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, “It worked! ..... Not GE

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works because it sufficates the tick so it has to let go to come up for air. Vaseline works too.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought maybe it may be irritating to the critter, such as a burning sensation through its flesh. Dishwashing liquid will break surface tension and irritate small critters. Heck I use Dawn and water mix in a spray bottle, for bugs on my roses, kills 'em instantly! .......Not GE

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually know this from when I used to raise and sell snakes. They get snake mites and ticks and all the books said to do this to get rid of them and they explained why it works. They actually recommended baby oil also.

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
Hmmm... What I've heard is that you should never cover the tick with anything. I think it's because when the tick decides to come out on it's own, it pukes at the same time it unhooks itself, and that's when some bacteria might get into you. When removed with tweezers, this is less likely to happen.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't apply anything to the tick!

Read here:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20020815/643.html

The best thing is to not get 'em on you in the first place. 

We've gotten quite good at keeping them off of us.  I've had one tick attached in 10 all-day hunts (even though I've seen at least a hundred on my clothing total during those hunts).

Here is what we do--and you might find it useful:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,162345.0.html

(Reply #23 to the thread is VERY important)

Regards,

Buckleboy

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
I take odorless garlic gelcaps,haven't had a tick bite me in over 10 years.And it's gooooooood for the heart also.......hh rh

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Yes, never cover the tick but be extremely careful with the tweezers too. Also if you remove a tick you need to send it off to be tested for rocky Mountain Fever. My soon to be brother in law suffers from the remmenants of the disease for getting it treated to late. He will have problems the rest of his life.

I have never had an imbedded tick and I will tell you why. (note that I am not telling you to do this). I eat 2-3 paper match heads per day starting 1 day before I am going to a place that I could get a tick. I learned this in the infantry from a an older infantry guy and verified that it worked. It has something to do with te sulfer that your putting in your system. I really dont know that is the case but it seems to work for me and I have been covered with them before. But, never had one inbed.

Surfin

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If that works so well, you'd think that the manufacturers would make a spray with sulphur in it, instead of deet. I could never eat match heads as I am allergic to sulpha products.

foot69

Jul 15, 2008
Kangaroo loose in the Top Paddock
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70
With our dogs we always smother the tick in butter to make it let go. I can see the point of not doing this because it may spit in the wound but wouldnt Squeezing it make it do the same?
We tried tweezers but left the heads inside the wound too many times.
Luckily we havent had any People tick bites..

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
The best thing to do is not get the tick on you in the first place.You could get lime disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever ! ALWAYS use bug repellent and lots of it.while is tick and mosquito areas.

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
As others have stated, do not, I repeat do not put anything on the tick. This is a great way to get them to expel the contents of thier gut into your bloodstream. The best way is to use tweezers then after the tick is removed wash the area with soap and water. This is what the CDC recommends.

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have never eaten match heads as surfer has, but I do use bleach.... when I know that I am going down range, about 3 days before I go, I take a bath each night, use 1 cap lid full of bleach, do that 3 nights in a row, and ticks and 'skeeters pass you by....

But like everyone else, it works for me, not recommending it for you.

just my 2 cents

regards
sixguns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread