DIGGIN HOLES AND NOT FILLING THEM IN - ON MY SOAP BOX
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Mar 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    1 times

DIGG'IN HOLES AND NOT FILLING THEM IN - ON MY SOAP BOX

I just wanted to let everyone one in the metal detecting community know how irritated I am about people who don't fill-in thier holes after digging a target. There is a chruch playgroung around the corner from my house that I go to if I don't have much time to detect. My wife, my two boys and I went there today and I was amazed at what I saw. I could'nt believe it ! Someone had come in the past three days and left approx. 20 to 30 holes unfilled ! It was obviously a detectorist, because no one else would have had a reason to dig all of those holes. Now I'm afraid that all of the church members that have seen me detecting the playground in the past will think it was me. I did my best to fill all of the holes back in, but you can still tell that someone has been there. Everybody, please remember to fill your holes back in after retrieving your find. It will allow you to be able to return to the area again without the property owner putting up a "No Metal Detecting" sign and ruining the hobby for everyone else !

Felinepeachy

Re: DIGG'IN HOLES AND NOT FILLING THEM IN - ON MY SOAP BOX

Oh I would have been furious!!!! The one think I would do though is to go to the church and tell them the whole story and let them know how upset your are about it. I think they will be less likely to blame you.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2006
    Fremont, Ohio
    Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560
    941 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by christ-first
    I just wanted to let everyone one in the metal detecting community know how irritated I am about people who don't fill-in thier holes after digging a target. There is a chruch playgroung around the corner from my house that I go to if I don't have much time to detect. My wife, my two boys and I went there today and I was amazed at what I saw. I could'nt believe it ! Someone had come in the past three days and left approx. 20 to 30 holes unfilled ! It was obviously a detectorist, because no one else would have had a reason to dig all of those holes. Now I'm afraid that all of the church members that have seen me detecting the playground in the past will think it was me. I did my best to fill all of the holes back in, but you can still tell that someone has been there. Everybody, please remember to fill your holes back in after retrieving your find. It will allow you to be able to return to the area again without the property owner putting up a "No Metal Detecting" sign and ruining the hobby for everyone else !

Yup, I have run across this before also, there are some real slobs out there!

Steve
    Research and ye shall find!

us
    Dec 2005
    nc
    Tesoro Conquistador Umax - BH Discovery 3300
    55 times

no sweat you filled them.........good man.

maybe no one saw......

but, someone is a ^*%*
    2013 FINDS- 1897 IH, Chinese Coin? Wheat 1939
    2012 FINDS -1879 Morgan Dollar
    2011 FINDS-?
    2010 FINDS-?
    2009 FINDS-
    IH - 1889,1892,1902,04,06,07,08,07,04
    Buffalo - 1935
    Wheats -?
    Silver-1 charm
    CW Relics- a three ringer, old 1850 buckle

http://www.cafepress.com/GeoMercantileCo

us
    Treasure Hunter

Nov 2005
    Brevard County, FL ~ USA
    Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
    12 times

Yeah and sometimes those slobs are just plain stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldiver
    Quote Originally Posted by christ-first

Yup, I have run across this before also, there are some real slobs out there!

Steve

us
    Sep 2007
    Sal Sagev Adaven
    E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,, GB PRO.
    49 times
    Metal Detecting

Good Job on filling the holes in and protecting our sport. Lately some of the places I hunt will not let ya hunt if you are carrying a digger. I just use a probe 99 % of the time. When I'm done , it's hard to see where i've been .
    I'll just follow you with My E-trac, Sov GT,or GoldBug Pro.

us
    Dec 2007
    Grayling, MI
    ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
    4 times

Amen! I havent run across this yet but it's hard enough to get people to let you search without these yahoos running around giving us a bad name.

Surfin
    You slept in peace last night because brave men stood ready to preform violent acts on your behalf!

us
    Apr 2008
    Eau Claire, WI
    Garrett Ace 250
    2 times

This is sad. The ones who do this probably aren't sweeping the land to its full capacity either. Makes rest of us look bad
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Nov 2005
    White's V3
    1 times

Gotta agree that there are some very irresponsible detectorists out there. I've never seen them, just the results of their selfishness. Not sure how to deal with them, but I know that whenever I can, I build goodwill. I answer people's questions respectfully, and even demonstrate for them what I'm doing and how I dig. Everyone who has seen it leaves educated and more accepting of the hobby. I'm also nice to the kids who come around with questions.

Mike

us
    Jul 2008
    Hampton, VA
    F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
    116 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I agree 100% and also don't forget that even if your in the woods fill it back in!! All it takes to ruin it for a lot of us is a stray cow or horse stepping in a relic hole and breaking his leg and you can bet you won't be allowed back. For that matter how would you like to step in a shell whole full of leaves you didn't see?

Feb 2006
    Minelab Explorer ll
    33 times

I saw the same thing many times at Hampton Beach in New Hampshire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the offender is reading this post right now. I get so furious too.
    Holding history in our hands is a treasure in itself.
                             ~Minelab EXll~

us
    Oct 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
    85 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Rediculous! I don't understand why people don't fill their holes back in. If you have any regard for your hobby, you would take care of the land. HOW HARD IS IT TO FILL THE HOLE WHEN YOU ARE DONE?
    It takes 10 seconds if you dig a nice plug. Thats an awesome way give our hobby a black eye. How would you like it if someone dug holes in your yard and left them unfilled?

NOT COOL !!

Nov 2007
    Largo, Florida
    Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
    880 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I know what you mean, I've stopped detecting with a couple of people, simply for that reason. I've explained it to them, to no avail.
    CurbdiggerCarl

us
    Sep 2007
    N. San Diego County
    Ace 250
    41 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mojo_Risin
    This is sad. The ones who do this probably aren't sweeping the land to its full capacity either. Makes rest of us look bad
    So true. That is pathetic that a "Metal Detectorest" would commit such an atrocity.... That's like committing a mortal sin in my book

Apr 2008
    10 times

Same type of person who loves to go fishing and enjoy the outdoors. Then leaves all his cans and empty bait containers behind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links