DIGGIN HOLES AND NOT FILLING THEM IN - ON MY SOAP BOX

christ-first

Mar 20, 2008
Sweet Home Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
DIGG'IN HOLES AND NOT FILLING THEM IN - ON MY SOAP BOX

I just wanted to let everyone one in the metal detecting community know how irritated I am about people who don't fill-in thier holes after digging a target. There is a chruch playgroung around the corner from my house that I go to if I don't have much time to detect. My wife, my two boys and I went there today and I was amazed at what I saw. I could'nt believe it ! Someone had come in the past three days and left approx. 20 to 30 holes unfilled ! It was obviously a detectorist, because no one else would have had a reason to dig all of those holes. Now I'm afraid that all of the church members that have seen me detecting the playground in the past will think it was me. I did my best to fill all of the holes back in, but you can still tell that someone has been there. Everybody, please remember to fill your holes back in after retrieving your find. It will allow you to be able to return to the area again without the property owner putting up a "No Metal Detecting" sign and ruining the hobby for everyone else !

F

Felinepeachy

Re: DIGG'IN HOLES AND NOT FILLING THEM IN - ON MY SOAP BOX

Oh I would have been furious!!!! The one think I would do though is to go to the church and tell them the whole story and let them know how upset your are about it. I think they will be less likely to blame you. :angel8:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christ-first said:
I just wanted to let everyone one in the metal detecting community know how irritated I am about people who don't fill-in thier holes after digging a target. There is a chruch playgroung around the corner from my house that I go to if I don't have much time to detect. My wife, my two boys and I went there today and I was amazed at what I saw. I could'nt believe it ! Someone had come in the past three days and left approx. 20 to 30 holes unfilled ! It was obviously a detectorist, because no one else would have had a reason to dig all of those holes. Now I'm afraid that all of the church members that have seen me detecting the playground in the past will think it was me. I did my best to fill all of the holes back in, but you can still tell that someone has been there. Everybody, please remember to fill your holes back in after retrieving your find. It will allow you to be able to return to the area again without the property owner putting up a "No Metal Detecting" sign and ruining the hobby for everyone else !

>:( >:( Yup, I have run across this before also, there are some real slobs out there! >:( >:(

Steve

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no sweat you filled them.........good man.

maybe no one saw......

but, someone is a ^*%*

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah and sometimes those slobs are just plain stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldiver said:
christ-first said:

>:( >:( Yup, I have run across this before also, there are some real slobs out there! >:( >:(

Steve

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good Job on filling the holes in and protecting our sport. Lately some of the places I hunt will not let ya hunt if you are carrying a digger. I just use a probe 99 % of the time. When I'm done , it's hard to see where i've been .

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX

Amen! I havent run across this yet but it's hard enough to get people to let you search without these yahoos running around giving us a bad name.

Surfin

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

This is sad. The ones who do this probably aren't sweeping the land to its full capacity either. Makes rest of us look bad

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3

Gotta agree that there are some very irresponsible detectorists out there. I've never seen them, just the results of their selfishness. Not sure how to deal with them, but I know that whenever I can, I build goodwill. I answer people's questions respectfully, and even demonstrate for them what I'm doing and how I dig. Everyone who has seen it leaves educated and more accepting of the hobby. I'm also nice to the kids who come around with questions.

Mike

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I agree 100% and also don't forget that even if your in the woods fill it back in!! All it takes to ruin it for a lot of us is a stray cow or horse stepping in a relic hole and breaking his leg and you can bet you won't be allowed back. For that matter how would you like to step in a shell whole full of leaves you didn't see?

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

I saw the same thing many times at Hampton Beach in New Hampshire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the offender is reading this post right now. I get so furious too.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rediculous! I don't understand why people don't fill their holes back in. :icon_scratch: If you have any regard for your hobby, you would take care of the land. HOW HARD IS IT TO FILL THE HOLE WHEN YOU ARE DONE? >:(
It takes 10 seconds if you dig a nice plug. Thats an awesome way give our hobby a black eye. >:( How would you like it if someone dug holes in your yard and left them unfilled?

NOT COOL !!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know what you mean, I've stopped detecting with a couple of people, simply for that reason. I've explained it to them, to no avail.
CurbdiggerCarl

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
This is sad. The ones who do this probably aren't sweeping the land to its full capacity either. Makes rest of us look bad

So true. That is pathetic that a "Metal Detectorest" would commit such an atrocity.... That's like committing a mortal sin in my book >:(

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

Same type of person who loves to go fishing and enjoy the outdoors. Then leaves all his cans and empty bait containers behind.

P

Pentico

I use the "leave it better than you found it" plan!

It really is sad that a few folks don't clean up after them self's, but on the other hand 99% of us do!
I guess it is the law of numbers.

But let me be the first to say congrats to the 99% of great MDs on doing an outstanding job cleaning up the land!
I know most of us really try to do the right thing! :icon_sunny:

Denver Nugget

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Ed-NH said:
I saw the same thing many times at Hampton Beach in New Hampshire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the offender is reading this post right now. I get so furious too.

I know who it was...no not me...I'll reprimand him for you

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another thing that ticks me off is when I fill in my holes only to return to find that a skunk has re-dug every hole...double the work...stupid skunks.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I recently had an idiot in the park that accused me of leaving my holes open. The nut was pointing to where squirrels had been digging all over the park. I almost took her over to one and rubbed her nose in it, but I'm too much a gentleman to do that. But I did set her straight and she walked away mumbling to herself. No, I don't leave open holes, never did , never will. Anyone who does is worse than the moron that accosted me. You hit the nail right on the head CF. Monty

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Stormin Norman said:
Ed-NH said:

I know who it was...no not me...I'll reprimand him for you

Cool, please do. It usually happens before I arrive and it looks as if I'm the one who made the mess. I usually just leave because I don't want to be blamed for it. I wonder if that person visits York Beach too :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread