Bringing in the Next Generation

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Many members have expressed concern over whether this hobby will survive with so few younger people taking and interest in metal detecting. Yesterday, I did my part to start the next generation into this hobby. My wife & I "watch over" one day a week during the summer, a set of twin girls we've known since they were born 8 years ago. Their father used to work for me before I retired. Although both girls have enjoyed going detecting with me several times, Madison....the oldest by 30 seconds, has always been the most enthusiastic about metal detecting. Yesterday, while at a local park playgrounds, Madison asked me if she could metal detect. Well, just so happens I had the DFX in the trunk of the car, so I got it out, set it on the coin program, balanced it, and showed Madison how to sweep the coil over the top of the grass. Although she struggled with the weight and length of the machine, she soon got the hang of it. Over the course of the next hour, she found 4 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, and 4 pennies along with a small metal action figure. She really likes the Bullseye II pinpointer. At the end of the day, as my wife and I were leaving, Madison thanked me for allowing her to metal detect and she turned to her dad and said, "I want a metal detector for Christmas." Yup, I think she's hooked. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread