Cashin in!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Cashin' in!

I decided to take my jar of the majority of this year's metal detected clad coins to Walmart tonight and cash in. I pretty much paid for half my Silver uMax by finding all that clad. That made the wife happy. Not only this, I discovered amongst all that clad a Mercury dime and about 20 wheaties!

The machine even took in those bad looking coins too. Made out like a bandit for $132 + a little change. This will buy my new digging trowel (desperately needed!!). What's left over (which will be more than half) I told my wife she can have to spend on herself. :wink:

Coin totals were as follows:

Quarters - 173
Dimes - 615
Nickels - 356
Pennies - 2279

And it all fit in the cookie jar.

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 682

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Re: Cashin' in!

Oh I am sure they do......I throw it all in when I do that........but I have giving those B#stards the 8%.

Surfin

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300

Forget coinstar. If i ever use coinstar it would be to count my corroded zinc pennies til the machine breaks.

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250

Ray in CA said:
What's left over (which will be more than half) I told my wife she can have to spend on herself. :wink:

Trying to buy some detecting time, eh? ;D

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Yeah, I suppose banks don't want corroded and dirty coin. Ha! I've yet to use the service of a Coinstar machine but have scored probably $12 scooping the "rejects" on the return grate

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Thats awesome! When I did that 2 years ago the machine had trouble taking my dirty pennies. Good going on all of the change! Good luck with your new digging tool! :thumbsup:

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hay Ray!
My local bank doesn't like taking coins any way, any how. I found it necessary to purchase a tumbler just so I could clean up my clad. I must admit; the coins do look a lot better. I no longer fool with my bank. My wife and I go to WalFFart so much anyway; we just spend them there. The clerks still look at us as if we are holding a "We Work for Food" sign. SCRU EM --- :)

GRB

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bet your wife appreciated that.

I'm still waiting to cash in my finds from this year. I guess I'm waiting for who knows. I just like seeing the pile get bigger and bigger.

I did cash in last years finds, they paid for the parking meter this year.

HH

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

Paul4x4 said:
Trying to buy some detecting time, eh? ;D

hehe, you know it!!

Personally, I don't mind the machine taking a percentage. Saves me from having to clean them myself and trying to get a bank to take them!

Ray

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey, is that a silver quarter you missed on the top of that pile in the cookie jar??? Hahaha, just kidding!

Nice pile and cash in! Especially nice of you for including the wife in the deal! Without even knowing you, I know that you are one smart guy! :wink:

Keep up the cashin' in!

Lookin

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Good job on the clad! But I don't understand why a bank wouldn't take in coins, even dirty coins. Isn't that what banks are for?? I take all my coins to my bank, the woman dumps them in a sifter and all the money goes into direct deposit into my checking (or savings) account. I don't pay any fee at all, nor would I ever. I figure, I'd probably pay about 8 dollars out of every one hundred dollars in clad at the CoinStar. 8 dollars can be one day's digs so...forget it. Though, I love CoinStars for the dump slot!

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I cant hep but think it would be wise to buy a coin separator that drops the coins into the individual coin wrappers
rather than give up the 8%
It would pay for itsself in no time
I have on, works great
Brady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread