deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my DFX for about 10 months now and like it just fine. Found some silver, lots of clad, and pretty much gotten the tones down pretty good.

I started this hobby about 1980 or there abouts with a White's 3000D which was a bear to keep ground balanced.

I moved up to the White's 6000DI pro and that thing kicked butt.

After a few years I hung it up and persued another hobby and sold the DI pro.

Well...I came back to the hobby a few years ago...gave the old 3000 a try...disappointing....bought a used 6000 Series 2...again not overly thrilled...then last year got the DFX.

Now I understand that a lot of detecting has gone on over the years, but that hasn't stopped the doubting that had I kept the DI Pro, maybe I would still be kicking butt on finds instead of so-so like I have been.

So...to challenge my doubts....I just bought another White's 6000DI Pro off Ebay for a terrific price...plus two additional coils come with it as an added bonus.

I'm gonna get me a box of golf tees and use one detector and mark my signal and use the other detector and see what I get, and vice-versa. Maybe I'll even take the other 2 with me to see how they all match up.

Yea...guess I'm obsessed..but don't any of you with the newer, high-tech machines with the steep learning curves wonder if your maximizing the machine like you could with the older ones?

The DFX in the field can be difficult to adjust constantly to different conditions and I don't really like waisting a lot of time reading when I can be detecting.

I've tried custom programs but still have my doubts, even when making decent finds, on weather I'm missing something or not because I just don't have it tweaked just so.

Don't get me wrong...I like the DFX. I just have questions on how much better it actually is. It is lighter and with developing arthritis, it's definately a big plus. I've read the books that have been recommended but you know...the short term memory loss thing...scrolling thru menus confuses a guy like me that indulged in herbal remedies for too many years. :tard:

I liked the simplicity of the 6000Di Pro...easy knobs to adjust and analog meter. I knew that baby inside and out. Found my only Liberty dime at 10" with it. Haven't found anything that deep YET with the DFX.
Maybe that day will come...but I need to know for myself.

Now that I'm finally on a permanant daylight shift at work I'll have time to find and join a club again. Always a good place to compare machines side by side. But...til I do......machine number 4 in the stock pile is gonna be my learning curve.

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 6000.....ahhh..the good old days.

I'm sure I'll rid the weight of the 3000 and 6000 series 2 after a few weeks, but I don't know which will be my back up from this point on. The 6000Di Pro...or the DFX. Time will tell.

Al

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is how it all starts when you start wondering how different detectors compare. Then things really start getting out to hand when you buy them just so learning them gets to be more fun than digging up the stuff itself. Somewhere down the road you learn that the fun is in just being entertained.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be a sort of copy of my brother. He sold his DFX to get back into a 6000 Di Pro again. As far as he is concerned the Di Pro is one of the best if not the best coin shooter White's ever made.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't think I'll be selling the DFX....but I'm in agreement with your brother.....still think the 6000Di Pro kicked butt and was just so easy to learn and use. I'm looking to score a DD coil for the DFX...maybe that will help in a couple areas I want to hit with lots of junk.....but I just have that gut feeling the 6000 will beat it.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread