Treasure hunting rules (unwritten and otherwise)

sgt809

Jun 15, 2008
I am new to this whole thing, but let me ask a question. I live in a turn of the century home, and have found lots of cool stuff both under the house and in the yard. My question is this, the families that used to own this home still have descendents in town, so if I were to find anything of value, like lets say a metal box containing jewelry and cash; what is the common courtesy here. I feel like I should get it back to the family, but on the other hand, I did find it after 40,50,60 years or whatever. It hasnt happened yet, but I have a feeling I will find a lot of stuff, some with value if the current trend continues. Is there a steadfast rule? My thinking was anything of sentimental value, such as old jewelry or family heirlooms should be returned, the rest is fair game. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated....

K

Kentucky Kache

If you own the property, you own the things on or in the property. Having said that, If I found personal family Items, I probably would give them to the descendants. But, like you said, everything else is fair game.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Laws differ from state to state regarding found valuables even on your own property. But basically what anyone doesn't know can't hurt you. If you feel you want to return anything is up to you, but be forewarned, not everyone receiving said property will think that is all of it and may decide there is more that you are not giving them. Some won't even think to thank you for your trouble.

It is sad, but that is the way people are now days.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I tend to agree with Sandman.

If you found something you could defintely trace back I would try and return it. Otherwise I would feel no obligation to return anything I found on my property.

S

stefen

If you find an urn filled with ashes, I'd definitely be looking for a relative. Other than that, the property is yours as well as the contents.

For a moment, lets reverse the tables, suppose termits ate the structural timber of the house over the years, do you think the prior owners or relatives will be beating a path to your front door?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto for me. I believe giving something back to the rightful heir would be a priceless benifit of metal detecting. Sure, you could keep it, ogle it, sell it and spend the money...but knowing you did something so grand as to return something that MIGHT make someone so happy...heck...maybe get more detecting leads.

But...like Sandman pointed out, don't go with such high expectations. Some people are just plain jerks. But you can rise above it and know at least you did what you thought best.

But again, unless you know for certain it was their's...finders keepers is the rule. They could say it was and they'd never know either way just because you offered it. Use your best judgement.
Al

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
better to keep your yap shut and save yourself some grief ;D or do what makes you happy!

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
A lot of people in this situation send me half of their finds and it eases their minds.
I'll PM you with my address.

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
your brain will get you in trouble your heart won't, follow your heart. firedup

OP
OP
S

sgt809

Jun 15, 2008
Thank you for all the responses. They confirm pretty much what I thought. I appreciate the time, and will keep you posted if it ever comes up.

EARTHLING

Aug 17, 2008
DALLAS TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SHADOW x5.... GOLDTRAX... D.P. WADER.... NAUTILUS DMC II B
better quit letting guilt or shame control your hobby or you will never have any fun.... i found a small cache on a property about 20 miles from my house near an old farm that had been torn down 10 yrs earlier and the land was technically own by a CORP. that never did anything with it.... there are not owner signs or no trespassing signs........... finders keepers

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Sandman is right
No one outside your immediate circle needs to know what you found on your own property

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I return pocketbooks if I find one and it has a name or drivers license in it. Same with wallets if I run across them, like in a movie theater or park. If I found dog tags or a high school ring or some such I'd try to track down the owner. Otherwise, I find it, I keep it, it becomes property of the pirate, end of story. If you beat yourself up for keeping finds, you ain't going to have much fun. If somebody knows close to where they lost something, they can come get me and I'll do what I can to find the item for them, that's fun.
Otherwise, me find, me keep...AArrrgghhhh!

HH,
Ramapirate

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I KNOW THAT ME AND MY DAD FOUND A GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL RING TWENTY YEARS AFTER SHE LOST IT.WE TRIED TO FIND THE HIGH SCHOOL BUT IT COMES TO SEEM THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF SCHOOLS THAT HAS THE BOBCATS FOR THEIR NAME.15 YEARS AFTER WE FOUND IT I WAS ON THE NET ONE NIGHT MESSING AROUND AND I FOUND A E-MAIL ADDRESS TO SCHOOL K-12 I LEFT A MESSAGE ABOUT THE RING AND WHAT INITIALS WAS INSIDE OF THE RING THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE THE LAST THING THAT I WOULD HEAR.TWO DAYS LATER I GOT A E-MAIL FROM A LADY IN KENTUCKY,I LIVE IN VIRGINIA COME TO FIND OUT THE LADY TOLD ME WHAT HER RING LOOKED LIKE AND APPROX. WHERE SHE LOST IT (IT WAS HERS)HER DAD HAD BOUGHT HER THE RING FOR GRADUATION AND COME TO FIND OUT THE LADIES DAD DIED THREE MONTHS BEFORE SHE HAD HER RING BACK IN HER HAND.SHE EVEN SENT US $50 FOR RETURNING IT.I THOUGHT THAT THE STORY HAD A PERFECT ENDING.IT MAKES A PERSON FEEL GOOD TO DO A GOOD DEED FOR SOMEONE.JUST BECAUSE IT HAD SPECIAL MEANING TO HER.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread