Places to metal detect

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.

Garrett has a book called Sucessful Coin Hunting that tells you plenty of places to detect. Places you may never think of. You must do your research to find the older parts of town if looking for older coins, etc. This is all part of the hobby, not just digging it up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey Timmmer, that's MY stomping grounds! haha. Oh well, for a modest percentage fee of your finds, I can permit you to hunt there :) I'm in Monterey County, right next door to you. We used to get a lot of silver out of "Dunne Park" in the old days, but it's pretty hammered out now. Still some silver if you know what you're listening for though.

As to where to hunt, it depends on what kind of hunting you want to do? Are you after jewelry? old coins? new coins? relicky things with a chance at something wickedly old? etc... etc.... It depends on your style and goals.

I've hunted all over your county. If old coins are your "thing" few good books to get you started: "East of the Gabilans" by Marjori Pierce. There's some errors in there, but it's still pretty good. Both of Pete Frusetta's books are good for the south county. One of the sites culled from one of his books, netted me an 1880s $20 gold, and numerous seateds, tokens, etc.... years ago when the books first came out.

OP
OP
Tim(Ca)

Tim(Ca)

Greenie
Aug 11, 2008
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sandman, Tom,

Thank you for the Info. Long time in responding to your reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread