went to a auction

pshaw54

Jun 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
depends on the dates, rarity, country... would like to know exactly what they were biding on.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I believe it. Have you seen what EBay buyers are pay for silver coins. I quit bidding, the bid were outrageous. I think some of the buyers get all caught up in the bidding hype.

fccdfed

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought 20 silver quarters for 19 bucks few months back
from an auction :thumbsup:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the silver has been going between 10X or 12X face. And yes, the prices on Ebay has been way outta whack lately.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
For silver content, a silver dime is worth about 1.10 depending on what silver happens to be at on a given day. Thats why so much of it has been sold and melted down. Back around 1980 silver prices got way up there and hoards of silver coins were dumped for metal value, melted and gone. I know it's not legal but hey, money still talks.

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Too many sellers on Ebay will either use a second account or have friends bid their coins up at the last minute to inflate it and start bid wars, it's crazy :tard:
If I decide to look for coins on the bay I try to look for buy it now's from good sellers with a reasonable price (which isn't always an easy task)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tin Nugget said:
For silver content, a silver dime is worth about 1.10 depending on what silver happens to be at on a given day. Thats why so much of it has been sold and melted down. Back around 1980 silver prices got way up there and hoards of silver coins were dumped for metal value, melted and gone. I know it's not legal but hey, money still talks.

It's not illegal to melt silver coins.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love auctions, and go to as many as I can.

But, you are right, people get "auction fever". Its not necessarily the item in particular, but the feeling of "power" in getting something that someone else wants, I think.

I have seen - lots of times - items sell for MORE than you can buy it brand new (and I'm not talking antiques, here - I saw someone pay twice the price for a broken 4 x 8 piece of plywood than they could have gotten it brand new at the lumber store!!!

Since Yahoo auctions crashed and burned, it seems like Ebay has inherited some of those "fevered bidders". Of course, the reserves have gone higher and Ebay charges alot more than they did when they were competing with Yahoo, too.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread