Setting The Ace

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I dlike to hunt by our middle school which used to be the high school when my wife grad. the last year for high school was 1989. Can I set my ace 250 by waving my class ring and hers under the coil so that it would discriminate and that would be all Id pick up. Just wondering cause there is a large yard and large grass parking for football games. dave

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Technically yes, you could wave the rings in front of your coil and watch where it shows up on your display, and eliminate the rest, but I wouldn't recommend it. Jewelry can bounce all over between the silver and gold signals on the ace, I've seen rings turn up when it says it's a nickel, and when it says it's a half dollar. Try using some other rings or necklaces for a test and wave them in front of the coil to see what I mean. If your after just jewelry and/or coins try running it in all metal mode and eliminating out the iron signals.

OP
OP
D

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Just thought it would be a speedier hunt for class rings cause there has to be some there.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Nightwolf is right. You can set the Ace to search only for a particular type of target using the discriminate and eliminate buttons but that is not the best strategy for your situation.
Gold rings and pendents can show up all along the nickel-pulltab range. Silver rings will show up as coins.
Setting only for a class ring will not eliminate a lot of junk , since plenty of trash shows up in that range anyway.
Put your machine in the "jewelry" mode and go for it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread