the hairs behind your knees.
UNLESS you go the "shaving" route. I know
some guy at work that do that.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does make you look a little "gay" but they do keep the gravel out your knees. I found a cheap pair at Lowes and are fairly comfortable but just plain dorky looking if you are around a lot of people..

OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
hmmmm, just thought about this....

You know those slip on knee bracers you can buy... then the standard pads over the top... might vive the old knees some support and protect hair / skin from getting pulled and chaffed....

I'll let you know :-)

Paul

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the old basketball knee pads? They are now also sold for volleyball and are not as big and bulky as they used to be but still offer all the protection we need for our creaky old knees.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of thorns will go right through those old basketball type knee pads. I havae some that are faced with hard vinyl plastic and are fastened on with velcro. They are kinda' big and bulky and I usually only wear one and get down on one knee. On the other hand, I mostly carry a gardners's knee protector made of foam rubber with a heavy nylon looking cover. Whatever it is a thorn won't penetrate it. I made a hook with a clothes hanger to hang it on my belt. I just toss it down and kneel on it when necessary. I have short legs and kneepads makes it hard to walk and won't stay in place for me. Monty

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
R

RUDY2003

I'm like Monty, I sometimes use the garden knee pad from wally world, little piece of rope and an "S"hook to hang on my belt..... When its cooler, long pants and strap-on knee pads cheap from Harbour Freight...

Keep safe...

Keith

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wore a pair of knee pads while detecting for a while. Now I do not. They tended to bunch up my pants after a while so I tried it without them, No problems. If I were in a rocky area or in an area with lots of knee dingers I may wear them again. I do keep them in the gear bag just in case.

Ed D.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the el cheapo knee pads from lowes or home depot. They are basically just foam. They work well for me.

As for looking like a dork... well we are already swinging a metal detector and digging in the ground, so if you are worried about looking like a dork... too late!

After kneeling down onto hard, dry ground with acorns, sticks, and random trash.... or in farm fields with rocks and nails everywhere, the only thing that matters is going home at night without bloody knees.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Not to scare anyone but an infection is the worst thing you could get from a wound to your knees. The knees are very susceptible to staph infections. Nasty nasty infections MRSA!!!

Wearing knee pads is the way to go. but then again I have hunted with people that don't wear gloves either.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
If your worried about looking like a dork you picked the wrong hobby. :icon_jokercolor:
I know it is just a matter of time before my knees blow out over half the guys I work with have gone under the knife, there never the same. My knees where hurting after every hunt untill I started useing them. I use them all the time now and I alway have used long pants so the big deal there.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My knees are blown out from combination Catholic upbringing and laying carpet with knee-kicker. I can hardly walk now so I just got a pair of hardcaps from HF. Will see how they do. I like Montys idea also and those articulated ones if these don't work.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Got mine from Home Depot for 15.99, the kind that say contractors use. I don't find them as sweaty as a cheaper pair I bought before and these don't pinch the back of my legs. I love them and I don't care if they make me look dorky ... they're just jealous cause I wear them well and they don't!!! ;D

Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's the problem with me, I don't wear them well and look dorky! :wink: But I look dorky without them on second thought. Never mind! M ::) nty

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a par of foam ones at Wally World with an elastic strap held with velco. They really do the job I gave about $4 for them.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seagullplayer said:
I got a par of foam ones at Wally World with an elastic strap held with velco. They really do the job I gave about $4 for them.

Yup, those are the same ones I use, and I wear shorts with them all of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread