Good First Detector

PoPsx3

Aug 17, 2008
Hello all, Just want some varied opinions on a good first unit. I live in SE MI and would like to hunt everything from farm fields to fresh water coast line (waters edge to maybe just above the ankle). Would like something with iron discrimination, along with very good depth to get below the plow level/line. Price range up to $700, and i don't have a problem buying a used unit. All your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thank-you
PoPs

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Welcome to Tnet PoPs,
If your willing to pay $700 for a detector, I assume you understand you don't want to get a bottom of the line detector as this often leads to frustration. I'll also add that you shouldn't get a "Cadillac" out of the gate since learning is often difficult with all the bells and whistles. Given these and the fact you want to do inland, banks, and water one detector comes immediately comes to mind. Minelab Sovereign XS2 Pro.

These detectors have been around for some time and have a great reputation. The XS2 is not the latest revision, but you can get a very clean used one for around $400. I'd start with an 8" coil to begin with which is what you will find on used ones most of the time.

Just my two cents.
Good Luck

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with RSC Just got my Garret 250 and love it. Its a great machine for coin hunting. What ever you get the main thing is to enjoy MD ing. Its a fun hobby Shane

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The Ace 250 is a very good starter unit. You can pick up a couple of different coils for it that work very well, learning the machine is very simple and once you've had it out in the field for a week or so you get the hang of the tones right away. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and opinions on this site before making my purchase of the ace and found it to be a very good investment, and there's always plenty of help around here from the friendly folks if and when needed :thumbsup:

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
nightwolf said:
The Ace 250 is a very good starter unit. You can pick up a couple of different coils for it that work very well, learning the machine is very simple and once you've had it out in the field for a week or so you get the hang of the tones right away. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and opinions on this site before making my purchase of the ace and found it to be a very good investment, and there's always plenty of help around here from the friendly folks if and when needed :thumbsup:

He said $700, so I cut him a big break and recommended a SOV for $400.
The 250 is a good starter machine, but don't be fooled.
It is in a much lower class than the Sovereign.
IMHO

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the soverigns are great from what ive read and been told, i enjoy my teknetics t-2, good iron disc, and depth and light weight, i hunt in the UP with fairly minerilized soils

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do have to remember, the sov. has no digital display and has a pretty good learning curve as far as what to dig. And I know, the digital screen doesn't mean a thing to some folks, but I like to have a general idea of how far down I have to dig and mine is pretty close. The tones can really give a new hunter quite a shock. I agree..the sov is a much better unit but for a new person in the hobby, might want to try an easier machine to begin with and see if he likes the hobby. Just remember, whatever you get, use it..use it as often as you can..that is the only way to become familiar with it. HH and GL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the forum. ;D

There are many machines to choose from and the ACE 250 has a lot of features for the money. I also like Radarwill's suggestion about the Sovereign, but I suggest the Sov. GT as it is the newest and one of the best. I think the price is around $699 new. You can read the field test at http://losttreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView07.cfm?ID=LT20050724

I am in Pontiac so I know the type ground you will be detecting and the Sov GT won't have any trouble an you'll never have to upgrade. The pic shows the optional meter in a neck mount bag.

Attachments

• Sov GT & Meter.jpg
    Sov GT & Meter.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 206
OP
OP
P

PoPsx3

Aug 17, 2008
Wow, thanks for the Welcomes and all the info guys! At first I was leaning towards the ace250, now i'm kinda thinking a sov. unit. I'll keep reading the reviews and opinions, thanks again guys!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click over and check out the members evaluation forum as there is a wealth of info there. Monty

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree the Sov GT is a great machine but, I also think there is a good learning curve to it and some new folks may get disappointed. My recommendations is a Xterra 30 or 50. Very easy to start with and power on and go. The 30 has no adjustable GB, which I have not as of yet had a problem with, and the 50 does. Good luck on your decision, Joe

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
For $700 you could buy an Exterra 70 and maybe find an extra coil for it. I think they had a package deal running. This machine wouldn't be too hard to learn and it should be sophisticated enough to do just about anything you want it to do.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Forget the 250..........but do get something with a display (TID). If this is going to be your first detector, a sovereign could easily end up in the closet or on Ebay. It would be good if you had someone around who knows that machine and could show you the ropes. I agree with Larry.......an X-terra could do the trick.

Beach_hunter

Jan 20, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would recommend the 250 or Fisher F2. That way if you don't like the hobby you won't be out a fortune. Also it's important to know, you don't need to spend a fortune to find one. I started in 1969 with a Compass detector, a noisy box with a search coil attached.. Many of the finds from that antique are now in the Hillsborough County Historical Museum. Like many machines, its not the equipment, its the operator. Buy what you can afford, then learn to use it well.

If you find you like the hobby and want to upgrade later that's cool.

Good Hunting
Bill

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I don't want to start an argument here but a couple of years ago when I got started back into the hobby I bought a Deleon. A good machine but not "the best" within a month I was wanting to upgrade.

So if you have the $700 to spend and you want to get something buy what you think you use. I know people have also had good success with the Whites MXTs.

Personally I like Minelab.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the MXT would be a good choice and you probably wouldn't have to upgrade unless you wanted too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread