Collectible metal detector Whites

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
I have an old White's Coin Getter that I would like to sell. It is in great shape and still in the original box. I have the owners manual and everything. It doesn't look like it was used very much if at all. The serial number on it is CG 02549.

I am selling this for a friend and was just wondering what it might be worth. I know there are a few collectors on this site and I would be happy to consider your offers.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• CIMG7568.JPG
    CIMG7568.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 539
  • CIMG7569.JPG
    CIMG7569.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 483
  • CIMG7570.JPG
    CIMG7570.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 444
  • CIMG7571.JPG
    CIMG7571.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 378
  • CIMG7572.JPG
    CIMG7572.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 376
  • CIMG7573.JPG
    CIMG7573.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 323

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Sure looks like it's in top notch shape, Dakota!

I wish I could afford to be a collector...

Best,
rmptr

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wouldn't call that "vintage" (heck, you're making me feel old!). That's circa early to mid 1970s. For "vintage" I'd say the 1960s machines and earlier :) Paul's about right on the fetch price, but it all depends on who's lurking on ebay at any given time. There are times when you'd get no bids at all.

Aside from possibly being wanted by a collector of old machines, there is another niche of persons who might want that machine, even though it's a dinasour by today's standards: since it's an all-metal TR, it has the unique ability to see through small iron. Like, it won't pick up nails, but you can put several nails on top of - and around - a coin, and still get a signal off the coins. It's got a see-through ability that today's power-houses don't have. Well, some 2-filters can do ok with nails mixed with coins, but not as good as the old all-metal TRs could do it. But that's about where their benefits ended. They had no other form of disc, and they didn't work in mineralized soil, and their depth was poor. But some ghostown hunters still seek out those old TRs (especially the Compass 77b) to work in nail-riddled spots

OP
OP
dakotama95

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
thanks for the info. The guy that gave it to me to sell said he thought it was from the 50's but I have searched the internet and seen it is from the 70's. The see throughfeature it quite interesting, I have never heard of that.
Please keep the info coming. I would like to learn more about it before I post it on ebay. Or maybe one of our memebers may be interested in it for their collection. Just Pm me if you want to make an offer.

JaWeCo

May 31, 2012
MA South Shore
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a White's metal detector, almost identical to this, from Santa in 1978. Instead of white, mine had a blue electronics housing, which was plastic. Only difference was the name; I think mine was called a Beach Comber. It was my first detector and my own kids used it up until a few years ago. Found lots of wheat pennies and a gold wedding band with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread