Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Feb 2007
    Illinois
    Ace 250, White's DFX

Collectible metal detector Whites

I have an old White's Coin Getter that I would like to sell. It is in great shape and still in the original box. I have the owners manual and everything. It doesn't look like it was used very much if at all. The serial number on it is CG 02549.

I am selling this for a friend and was just wondering what it might be worth. I know there are a few collectors on this site and I would be happy to consider your offers.
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7568.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	225890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7569.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	225891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7570.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	225892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7571.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	225893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7572.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	225894  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG7573.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	225895  

Dec 2007
    Tierra del Fuego
    Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
    5 times

Re: Collectible metal detector Whites

Sure looks like it's in top notch shape, Dakota!

I wish I could afford to be a collector...

Best,
    rmptr
    I am a pathological liar and a functional illiterate.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1937 times
    Banner Finds (3)

I wouldn't call that "vintage" (heck, you're making me feel old!). That's circa early to mid 1970s. For "vintage" I'd say the 1960s machines and earlier Paul's about right on the fetch price, but it all depends on who's lurking on ebay at any given time. There are times when you'd get no bids at all.

Aside from possibly being wanted by a collector of old machines, there is another niche of persons who might want that machine, even though it's a dinasour by today's standards: since it's an all-metal TR, it has the unique ability to see through small iron. Like, it won't pick up nails, but you can put several nails on top of - and around - a coin, and still get a signal off the coins. It's got a see-through ability that today's power-houses don't have. Well, some 2-filters can do ok with nails mixed with coins, but not as good as the old all-metal TRs could do it. But that's about where their benefits ended. They had no other form of disc, and they didn't work in mineralized soil, and their depth was poor. But some ghostown hunters still seek out those old TRs (especially the Compass 77b) to work in nail-riddled spots
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Feb 2007
    Illinois
    Ace 250, White's DFX

thanks for the info. The guy that gave it to me to sell said he thought it was from the 50's but I have searched the internet and seen it is from the 70's. The see throughfeature it quite interesting, I have never heard of that.
    Please keep the info coming. I would like to learn more about it before I post it on ebay. Or maybe one of our memebers may be interested in it for their collection. Just Pm me if you want to make an offer.

us
    Jim

May 2012
    MA South Shore
    Whites Classic II
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I received a White's metal detector, almost identical to this, from Santa in 1978. Instead of white, mine had a blue electronics housing, which was plastic. Only difference was the name; I think mine was called a Beach Comber. It was my first detector and my own kids used it up until a few years ago. Found lots of wheat pennies and a gold wedding band with it.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links