I want a good digger for less than $30, any such animal? (UPDATE!)

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody post what a real digger looks like, I want one. The dirt around Charlotte, N.C. is like digging through a tree stump. Somebody show some pictures and prices and where to buy. I know some people that weld, I might design something and see if it works, a shovel at one end and pry bar at the other maybe. Perhaps with something to hold earplugs and a small amount of dynamite in the middle. With an iPod dock and drink holder. Just messing, I'd just like to see what the grownups are using to dig with. I've been using a bayonet, and that's just stupid of me. I have a great scooper I bought on the way to the beach year before last at a detector store in Rock Hill that does the trick for sand. I just need something really heavy duty to dig with. They sent me a little digger when I got my Ace 250 but I destroyed it in the second hole I dug. And I sure didn't say it on Kellyco, it wasn't their fault. Kellyco is awesome. I just don't like trial and error, I like someone to say, "Ramapirate, here is exactly what you need!!"

HH,
Ramapirate

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
Re: I want a good digger for less than $30, any such animal?

I have not tried it yet, but noticed a "Duct Knife" at Home Depot in the a/c dept. It came with a sheath and cost about $15.00 and some tax. It looked like a hunting knife but was searated on one side and could readily be sharpend. I can't say for sure, but it really looked ideal for hard soil or even clay.

Mike

Attachments

• dk1_dk6c.jpg
    dk1_dk6c.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 420
OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe I'll hobble over there after while and check them out. What are other people using? Keep them coming!!

HH,
Ramapirate

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Ames 7 in 1 true temper planters buddy 13.48 at lowes, they have it at the home depot too

Attachments

• ames7n1.jpg
    ames7n1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 387

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+

These are sold by many dealers and on some auction sites, under $30 with shipping.

Attachments

• Treasure Wise Digger.jpg
    Treasure Wise Digger.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 441

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI

I also like the Ames, I have one and have used it. It is stainless and can be easily sharpened, plus it also has the serrated edge. The duct knife is a bit narrower and looks like it may penetrate hard soil easier??? The Ames is pretty stout and should be able to handle alot of pressure in digging.

Mike

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm headed to Home Depot here in a few. I'm also going to look at the little short d-ring handled shovels that some guys I've seen are using around here. They are like 3' long or so and a "D" shaped grip to hold it by. I may get one of each and go from there. I still won't be spending much money if I do that.

Thanks and HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I want a good digger for less than $30,any such animal?(UPDATE PLEASE READ!)

Check this out!!!
I just got this email from Kellyco, and there's above and beyond and there's Kellyco!! They didn't have to do this, I wasn't bellyaching about the little digger, I was just saying I needed something with more ummmpff to it. This sounds like the ticket!! I'm amazed!!! I'm overwhelmed!! I appreciate this so much!

THANKS KELLYCO!!!!!!

Dear Ramapirate,

Just read your post and was so sorry to hear that you digger broke after just 2 uses.

I am sending you a 12” Sawtooth Razor Edge Gator Digger to replace the one you lost. I trust that this will work well for you.

I will check and if I hear of a good digger for your soil, I will let you know.

Thank you for being our customer and I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us in the future.

Margaret

S

stefen

Talk about excellant customer relations. I know where I will go when I need something in the future.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess that shows that some "Large" stores DO care about the customer after the sale. Hats off to Margaret and KellycoChick. They are the best reps that KellyCo can have on their side.

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree completely! You don't find companies that treat their customers this well every day. And as my dad said, Dance with the one that brung you." which means when someone does a good thing for you like that you give them your loyalty by making your purchases from them. That's really important in these tighter economic times. Kellyco deserves our loyalty. Not just because they gave me a digging tool, but because they pay enough attention on here to see that I had a digger go south on me last summer. It wasn't even their fault and I wasn't blaming them. I just mentioned it. That is loyalty!

HH,
Ramapirate

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That Gator was the one I was going to recommend. They are much cheaper than the Lesche and are indestructable. The "knives" are great for easy digging shallow plugs but don't work well with deeper targets.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PMike said:
I have not tried it yet, but noticed a "Duct Knife" at Home Depot in the a/c dept. It came with a sheath and cost about $15.00 and some tax. It looked like a hunting knife but was searated on one side and could readily be sharpend. I can't say for sure, but it really looked ideal for hard soil or even clay.
Mike

It's funny you mentioned this. . . I just picked one of those up and they seem fairly well made. . .

What I have been using is "The Campers Little Helper" from JapanWoodworker.com The blade is hardened stainless steel with a serrated edge and it cuts the sharpest plugs (good for manicured lawns). The only modification I made was to wrap the wooden handle in "hockey stick" tape to insure my hand doesn't slip off.

11.171.jpg

Take care,
watercolor

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so glad that Margaret took care of you! The Gator diggers are an excellent bang for the buck, and I doubt it will steer you wrong. If you guys need anything, I'm here for you!

Happy hunting and good luck!! Keep us posted on whatcha find!

SC_hunter - Thanx a MILLION for the compliment!! ;D I'll pass it on to Margaret too ;D

- K to the E to the L to the L to the Y to C to the O to the CHICK!

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Hay Ramapirate,

I can destroy any digger.

Trick is to dig and not to distroy.

I been diggen property corners so

long I've gone through just about

the toughest diggers.

It's not the digger, it's the diggee.

I use a very light weight one pound

shovel. It was two pounds new, but I

took off one pound reshaping it with

a 6" bench grinder. Weighs about the

same as a Lachet digger and is longer.

About five or six bucks at Lowe's.

Tempered steel. I got one a little wider

for heavier digging. But I do most stuff

with this one.

7-21-1-1.jpg

The short and the long of it is:

I ain't luggen all that crap around

with me. It's just a hobby to me.

7-24-1.jpg

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog in Arkie Land

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good looking shovel Tabdog! Nice mod there. I am a bit rough on digging implements I suppose. I don't use shovels as prying instruments, I used to put in irrigation systems and do landscaping for about 10 years. So after having to buy a few shovels over broken handles, I learned my lesson. Some tools are meant to take it and some don't. I can't wait to get the Gator, I'll still try to take it easy on it though.

HH,
Ramapirate

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Hay Ramapirate,

This is some of the stuff I carry in my car.

8-6-1.jpg

The one on top is more than 18 years old.

Recovering property corners 3' deep in the

middle of finished highways was common

for this digger.

I dug up a samatary sewer man hole 4' deep

in the middle of Main Street in Grodon, AR.

I don't know if you have dug compacted

finish road bed, but there ain't much harder

to dig.

That digger is still here.

It ain't the digger, it's the diggee. :idea1:

People dug holes without steel that would

humble the most motcho 21st century man.

If you want digging that serious, get a back hoe.

Long and short,

It's just a hobby,

I ain't luggen that

stuff around and

make it like work

____WORK!!____

Forget that. I can

Did all I want with

what I got.

I'm dissabled now.

Tabdog

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

TreasurdiggrNY said:
Ames 7 in 1 true temper planters buddy 13.48 at lowes, they have it at the home depot too

I use this and like it alot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread