Hunting OLD large Oak trees

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
So, you come upon a huge majestic oak tree and think....wow, I wonder who travelled around this tree in the day and what they may have dropped? You pick up your trusty md and get to sweeping....but WHERE to do you get to sweeping.....right by the trunk, which has obviously grown much since the old stuff was drooped, out from the roots, which may likely have "pushed" anything out away from the center, or at the periphery, where stuff proabaly ran down and picnics may have been held......basic question?

What's the BEST way to hunt a tree and after years and years (let's say at least 75-80) where would those lovely trinkets be?

bass99

May 9, 2005
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start at the base and work outword, if the roots are sticking up in some spots work them from different angles, allot of the older coins will be under the roots so try and dig from the side.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a large park that I was told as soon as I started the hobby that it was hunted out. There are 5 old pin oak trees near some basketball courts that have probably been there since the 40's maybe (3 and 1/2 to 4' trunks). I started swinging around the roots coming out from the trees and in minutes found my 2nd merc ever. I found two more within the next hour and a half. Nothing scientific, and using an Ace 250, running the detector up and down the sides of the length of the roots. Give that a try!

HH,
Ramapirate

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also keep an eye out for depressions where those old trees used to be. You might find some overlooked hunting ground.

HH
Steve

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
myelo1023 said:
So, you come upon a huge majestic oak tree and think....wow, I wonder who travelled around this tree in the day and what they may have dropped? You pick up your trusty md and get to sweeping....but WHERE to do you get to sweeping.....right by the trunk, which has obviously grown much since the old stuff was drooped, out from the roots, which may likely have "pushed" anything out away from the center, or at the periphery, where stuff proabaly ran down and picnics may have been held......basic question?

What's the BEST way to hunt a tree and after years and years (let's say at least 75-80) where would those lovely trinkets be?
Hundred or more years back it wasn't just the kids that climbed the picnic tree and hung upsidedown from the spreading branches.Spiral from the base to the circumfrence of the branches.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can't answer that question, but I found a pecan tree that is MASSIVE today! If I tried to wrap my arms around it, I would probably only go about a 3rd of the way around-and I have a 6ft span fingertip to fingertip! I'll be going back asap with my detector. Especially interesting is that it's almost by itself along a very old fence row. I'll be detecting it all the way out to the periphery of the branches since I'm sure people have stooped over and picked up pecans for many years! On the question of the oak, one thing to consider is that it could've been a picnic spot at some time or another, and the shade it casts would likely be outside the actual diameter of the canopy. Probably no good answer here...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I also start at the trunk and spiral outwards... overlapping.  Concentrate hard on the summer shade side if there is one.

Old trees have always been good to me.

I dig around and under, but have never cut the roots.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
make sure you take tools to cut through those really thick roots....A large tree in my area has numerous(good)targets,and most of those finds are trapped under the huge root system of the tree.

HH,Good Luck

Shawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread