Question about rest stops

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rest stops are State property.
Best to check on the policy of MDing in a State Park.
Make sure the regulations are clear and concise.

That would be my best advise.

Thom

OP
OP
spisswgt

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
A rest stop is a state park??? It may be owned by the state, but how is it a park? I'm just talking about rest stops that you stop at to go to the bathroom or whatever when your on a long trip.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
YUP,

The rules and regs are usually the same and the same folks do the maintanance.
be aware of the rules where ever you get the urge to go... MDing.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The places I've stopped at in Pa. have rules and regs posted just like any other state facility. I don't read them cause I've just never had that on my list of places to hunt or sleep overnight. I've seen similar signs in Ohio and West Virginia.

If yours are anything like ours...I frequently see the state police driving/sitting in them and almost always a maintainence worker there with the exception of a few hours after dark.

Can't hurt to ask someone that may be there on duty but I wouldn't stick my neck out and make phone calls. You'd get a big NO for sure.

Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A LOT of retirees are packing metal detectors in their motorhomes, as they spend their golden retirement years hopping from one KOA ground to another. And I suspect they don't hesitate to hit the highway rest stops, in all 50 states. I doubt anyone really cares, unless you were leaving a mess. Is that to say that if you asked high enough up the ladder to stuffy offices in the state capitol "can I metal detect at YOUR rest stop?", that you'd probably find someone to tell you "no". But that is also true of EVERY public place. If you keep asking long enough, and hard enough (be sure to mention "digging" and "ARPA", etc... lest they not fully understand), that you'd get no's for every place. But odds are, no one really cared less, nor would have ever paid you mind. Just stay away from obvious historical monuments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions