Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEDICAL WASTE AVALON NJ BEACHES & OCEAN CITY UPDATE CAUGHT

Here we go again, Medical waste washing up on the shores of Avalon, NJ... over 250 needles found and more.. This is disquisting, beaches of course are closed there. Ya think they would let detectors help find them.. so far not to my knowledge.. so anyone in NJ beware and be safe when hunting the beaches here.. and especially for those that water hunt..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: GROSS MEDICAL WASTE AVALON NJ BEACHES

This is pretty disgusting. It comes down to hospitals not disposing of their waste properly to save money. It might even come from South America on the Gulf Stream.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White

I think it would be a great help, but I believe they may need some control. No small kids or pets and wear shoes , for protection of course. That would take some work and most don't want work, so they say no detecting, closed yatta yatta. Bootybay, that is universal with our public service, not all, some are doing the work and many are putting up signs, and riding around being bossy and worthless.
I have to laugh every time I go through LA, the roads are a mess and never see any one working, just a pickup with a guy moving cones. I think that poor guy is moving from one side of the state to the other, back and forth and I'll bet he hates that job, nothing to show for his work except a bunch of damaged cones. Gnewt

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000

Is this from hospitals not disposing of medical waste properly? Or is it druggies using needles and discarding them? Or both...

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

from what I read in the papers it said it was from a hospital, but remember, NJ will give junkies new needles if they trade in their old used ones.. omg that is so gross. either way its disquisting.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gnewt said:
I think it would be a great help, but I believe they may need some control. No small kids or pets and wear shoes , for protection of course. That would take some work and most don't want work, so they say no detecting, closed yatta yatta. Bootybay, that is universal with our public service, not all, some are doing the work and many are putting up signs, and riding around being bossy and worthless.
I have to laugh every time I go through LA, the roads are a mess and never see any one working, just a pickup with a guy moving cones. I think that poor guy is moving from one side of the state to the other, back and forth and I'll bet he hates that job, nothing to show for his work except a bunch of damaged cones. Gnewt

They don't have enough superintendants & foremen (shovel leaners) to go around ;D 6 supers 3 foremen & two hand diggers per work site. Not enough people to do the job that's why it takes forever to repair a road.;D ;D ;D Of course it only takes one TCS to set 6 miles of VPs & cones ::)

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well Avalon made the papers again today... let me type this whole stupid thing I cannot believe this ... here goes

AVALON BEACHES SHUT FOR THE 3rd TIME.

More edical waste is discovered Tuesday in the wet sand, and the source remains a mystery.

Avalon closed its beaches Tues. for the 3rd time in 4 days after more needles and medical debris were found on its shore.

The Avalon Beach Patrol ordered beaches closed from 14th to 22nd streets after two needles were spotted at about 3:30pm on beaches at 18th st. and 15th st.

After the beaches were closed, Public Works crews and borough officials swept the area, recovering 20 pieces of medical waste, including 8 in. cotton swabs and items that resemble pill casings, according to Scott Wahl, Avalon's public information officer.

The objects were similar to other materials reported since the weekend.

There have been no reports of injuries resulting from the medical debris washing ashore.

Officials say they will not make a determination until this morning about whethere all beaches will be open.
The medical debris first washed ashore in Avalon on Saturday when about 150 pieces of of medical debris, needles, swabs and pill casings were reported.

Cape May County Emergency Management Director Frank McCall said other municipalities have been told to look for medical debris as well, but no other municipality in cape may county has been affected.

Wahl said all the debris was found on wet sand, but officials are not sure if the tides are uncovering more materials or if they are still floating in from the ocean.
Its the wave action that's slowly exposing this stuff from the initial wash up, or it still comming up from the ocean? Wahl said.
Early this morning, work crews will slowly comb the northern end beaches again to look for debris, Wahl said.

Because the only metallic objects in the debris are the metal tips of the plastic needles, they're too small for metal detectors to pick up, Wahl said.
On Saturday, about 150 intravenous needles , 8 inch cotton swabs and blue pill casings first washed ashore, prompting the borough to close the beaches between 9th st. and 24th st.

On Saturday morning, the beaches were inspected and reopened but 25 more pieces of debris found in the afternoon between 9th and 18th st. after high tide, beaches were closed again.
After sweeps, the beaches were reopened Monday morning no other medical debris was reported on the shore until tuesday afternoon, when a lifeguard spotted a needle on an 18th st. beach. shortly afterwards another needle reported on the beach at 15th st..

The source of the medical material still remains a mystery. The state attorney generals office is investigating the materials, some of which include serial numbers to try to trace their origin.

In june, the borough received a beach fill that stocked 225,000 cubic yards of sand on depleted beaches from 9th to 18th st. The sand was dredged from nearby townsend inlet.
But Wahl said it is unlikely the medical debris came from the dredge.
A dredge churns water from the ocean floor using powerful jets and sucks the sand across pipes to the shore.
But there has been little or no damage to the needles and not one broken cotton swab, Wahl said.
The borough is double checking with the dredging company, Great Lakes dredge and Dock Co, to see if it encountered any materials. but if it had, the discovery should of been reported previously wahl said.

boy is this something or what.. phew that was a lotta typing..

FireRescue

Jul 28, 2007
Middle Georgia

If you go to west point lake in Ga. there are some shores near where the rivers enter that are covered in druggie needles and old condoms and other crap. I know of some people that go on volunteer clean up outings there. Most of that waste comes all the way down from Atlanta though. >:(
Like they say "it all goes downstream".

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I gotta tell ya even if they wanted some help... I don't think I would go. Just don't want to take the " risk ' of running into any needles. And that's probably why they won't ask ( legal issue's ).

PLL

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why aren't they checking the sewer outfalls and strom drains?!?! If they found medical waste around one they could trace it back to the source a lot quickersince it appears to be concentrated in a relatively small area. Or am I missing something?

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey boogeyman,
Probably not enough tax $$$$$... or at least that's what they will say...

PLL

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh yeah, We don't really want to do it speech #4 ;D

Wonder if doing it the intellegent way would cost more than the lost tourist revenue ???

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

didn't you all see the paragraph about the needles being too small that metal detectors won't pick them up... ok so maybe the need to do one of two things..hire metal detectorists that have the PROPER detector that will pick up a needle ( I mean come on here, how many have found a zillion bobbie pins) or they are just using some cheapo detector.. I seriously find their comments on that one hard to swallow.

and this is the supposidily the LAST big weekend for the tourists.. Labor day weekend.. Avalon is a hot spot for tourist as is the rest of the beaches here... so whose kidding who here.. I am half tempted to write the newspaper on this one..even I know that yes detectors can pick up minuit pcs of metal..heck my xt70 does, so can you imagine what the higher end ones will do.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OH hell, I just knew it...just now on the news, needles, totally different then the ones that washed up in Avalon, now just washed up on two different beaches in ocean city..they said only a few needles washed up there they are not closing any ocean city beaches... also they are offering a 10,000.00 reward on any info on where this medical waste is comming from.. why am I not suprised on this..

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Re: GROSS MEDICAL WASTE AVALON NJ BEACHES & OCEAN CITY TOO

This is pretty harsh ,but they should use one of those dirty needles on the idiot that trashed them in the water. Just what we need is some little kid to get ahold of one of them.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Todays Paper,
Ocean city, NJ closed 9 beaches between 30th and 46th streets.. and on seaspray road after 5 syringe pieces were found. they expect to re open the beaches after 8:30am today following the high tide. They are still saying that the medical debris in Ocean city is totally different from the debris in Avalon.

heres also what they said in todays paper, Beachgoers are more at risk of tetanus from a rusty needle then from any blood borne pathegens, when syringes are in the water any viruses or pathogens die very quickly in the direct sunlight. also states that the medical waste was dumped by someone to save money as their is an expense to disposing of medical waste properly... gee NO KIDDING.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seems like almost the whole jersey coast is shut down... more beaches shut down then what was in todays paper, my daughter works in a beachfront house in strathmere, the beach was closed and the news channels were there.. isnt this just great for labor day weekend... un fricking real.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Update.. In todays Sunday Paper, someone got themselves a nice reward, The person responsible for dumping medical waste was a dentist, ya believe that one, Thomas McFarland, 59, of Lower Merion Twp, Pa, allegedly went out in his small boat on aug. 22 and dumped trash into the townsends Inlet. Hes even got a home in Avalon.. Says he turned himself in..so am not sure if the number tag on a drill bit pointed to him or if someone turned him in.. either way, hes old enough to know the laws about disposing of medical waste.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions