pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if you shoot your mouth off you could find yourself in the hot water. Depending on the size of the treasure most folks will keep it on the down low. There are many ways to dispose of treasure that will not bring the federalies to your door.

Be smart, and if you have found a huge treasure I think patience is your friend.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on where you are located. Each state/government has different laws regarding archeological finds.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
If you find something valuable, and you tell people you found it, you will be bombarded by demands from many different people who claim to be the legal owner. They lost it, they have claim to the property where you found it, their grandpa owned it, their uncle buried it - these people just come out of the woodwork, and they will drive you nuts.

Most treasure hunters keep their mouths shut when they find something valuable because they know the headaches publicity will bring.

The honorable thing to do is to quietly have it appraised and pay taxes on your profit.

Of course, if you pay taxes on your finds you can also take deductions on the money you spend on detectors, the cost to travel to hunt sites, etc, etc. Your hobby becomes a business. THAT can be a headache, too.

Most veteran treasure hunters just keep their mouths shut.

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step 1: Practice this phrase: "Mostly trash and some pocket change" :wink:
Step 2: Keep mouth shut ::)
Repeat steps 1 and 2 as necessary.
HH Steve

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Brokenheartedangel: Those people you alude to are right. You must turn over everything you find. But I'll make it easy for you: box up any treasure you find, and send it to me. I'll take care of it for you, turn it into the right people, and absolve you of all guilt. See what a nice guy I am? Just trying to help the hobby! :-*

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find treasure you just disappear from posting, move away, and sell it off slowly. Never tell a soul.

I think there have been a few posters from this site do this in the past. Although I don't really know any details...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread