Its dangerous out there

P

pippinwhitepaws

Re: It's dangerous out there

i went out to a site i know today...hadn't got twenty feet from the car when rounds start flying over me....damn flatlanders are all over the place, it is elk season.
i do not look like an elk..nor am i large enough...
city dwellers show never be allowed out in the woods with a weapon.

sorry, had to rant somewhere.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback

a homeless guy in my town was beaten to death by some stupid teens about a year ago but luckily they found them and they went to juvy

i hope that piece of crap is found
p.s. you're a good man

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

MichiganRob said:
I didn't know where to post this so I put it here. Today I was detecting at Heritage Landing in Muskegon when my attention was diverted to a commotion about a hundred feet away. A man was beating a homeless denizen of the park with a chain with a padlock on the end. I have come across this homeless man many times and he is a meek, mild and timid sole who scavenges for bottles and cans in the trash cans.

Needless to say I was outraged by what I was seeing and I quickly ran over and confronted the perpetrator yelling at him to stop. Suprisingly he did stop the assault and squared off against me. Well he thought better of it and withdrew to the safety of his bicycle which he mounted and departed. I am a fairly large man and was really angry so I don't think he wanted a piece of me. It was just as well because I am not a fighter and did not really want it to come to that.

I checked on the condition of the homeless man who was badly beaten his face bloodied and his torso bruised. I did not have a cell phone with me but I got in my car and followed the criminal bike rider hoping that we would cross paths with a patrol car and I could point him out. The fleeing criminal knowing that I was following led me up one street and down another circling around and back and still I couldn't find a cop.

I came to a corner where a couple was talking at their car at the curb and told them what was going on and to please call 911. They said they would and I resumed my pursuit. The bicyclist came to the end of a dead end street and went into an apartment complex at the end where I could not follow. Just then I spotted the patrol car two blocks down and began waving at him.

At this point I still had a visual on the creep and the patrol car, within a minute the police were there. Unfortunately the creep had disappeared around a corner. The officer told me to stay put and he raced around the corner from the other direction. Soon there were 5 or 6 patrol cars cruising the area and the bad news is they did not catch this guy. I had followed this guy for 15 or 20 minutes and when I finally got the police there I still had him in my sight and within 2 minutes he had gottten away. I was totally disgusted with myself for not carrying my cell phone.

I gave my information to the officer and returned to the park where the homeless man was recieving treatment from the EMT's, he will be fine just shaken and bruised. I shook his hand and wished him well and he thanked me for comming to his aid.

I write this story here for a couple of reasons...

First: because I am still venting; it really makes me angry when the strong prey upon the weak.

Second: because this was in broad daylight and there were several others in that park some closer than I who made no move to help or intervene and that makes me angry because I believe that we are all in this together and as much as it is within my power I am my brothers' keeper.

and

Third: because it could just as easily been me or you being savagely attacked while we are just Md'ing in the park or wherever. I would counsel you all to be careful and take precautions for your safety. That guy is still out there because I didn't bring my cell phone and I am sure that across this great country there are many more just like him. I vow never again to go Treasure Hunting without my cell phone.

HH
MichiganRob

Get a CCW. The MI CCW is good (riciprocity from Ohio to Florida). Takes about 2 months and an OK from the gun board in your county, here in MI. One more thing that I would add......learned it in required gun class for CCW in MI....if you do not have cell phone service but have an old cell phone, charge it up and carry it with you. It will call 911 as required to by law even though it is not in service.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We should all take this as a wake up call!

Violence is a reality. And our hobby puts us at a greater risk because generally we work alone in unfamiliar sometimes secluded areas.

If you are not sure of what to do or how to react in certain dangerous situations you are putting yourself at risk of becoming a victim.

I believe in the adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you have reservations about hunting a dangerous spot, avoid it or make sure you have taken the proper precautions for your safety. Taking a capable partner with you would help.
But always keep an eye out for suspicious activity and act accordingly.

Buying a gun may give you some sense of security. But if you use poor judgment in it's use you could end up with serious legal trouble or even worse PRISON! ( of course it could save your life, maybe)

What if you have never been exposed to a real live threat. WOULD YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT TO DO? :icon_scratch: :o ??? :-\ :'(

If you are not completely sure, then I suggest going to this website with an open mind and find out exactly what to do when you are exposed to asocial behavior! www.targetfocustraining.com

I highly recommend signing up for the FREE newsletter and other FREE information.
It cost you nothing and could save your life! :icon_sunny:

Buddy~

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

As a newbie here on Tnet, this topic shook me up. I never even thought about how MDing could be dangerous, so thanks for the warning.

And it makes me feel good to know I'm in the company of genuinely good human beings as an MDer. It scares me how often folks nowadays don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.

As a former cop, I second the caution to those considering carrying a firearm without proper training and experience -- you actually put yourself more at risk. So exercise your right to protect yourself, but make sure you know what to do and how to do it. The power to take a life is an awesome responsibility.

Also noticed how many military vets we have among us, and want to say thanks for all you've done to protect our still great country and those in it. Most of my relatives served one way or another (I think that's where I got the impetus to join law enforcement), and I've always been very proud of that. I know we wouldn't be able to enjoy MDing and a lot of the other freedoms most Americans take for granted without the service of our vets. So just...thanks a LOT. You're the best.

Mary in PA

JP66

Nov 29, 2007
Belmont County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i

Very noble act my friend. We have to protect those who cannot protect themselves.
These are strange times we are living in & I can only think things will get worse.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

wildheart said:
As a newbie here on Tnet, this topic shook me up. I never even thought about how MDing could be dangerous, so thanks for the warning.

And it makes me feel good to know I'm in the company of genuinely good human beings as an MDer. It scares me how often folks nowadays don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.

As a former cop, I second the caution to those considering carrying a firearm without proper training and experience -- you actually put yourself more at risk. So exercise your right to protect yourself, but make sure you know what to do and how to do it. The power to take a life is an awesome responsibility.

Also noticed how many military vets we have among us, and want to say thanks for all you've done to protect our still great country and those in it. Most of my relatives served one way or another (I think that's where I got the impetus to join law enforcement), and I've always been very proud of that. I know we wouldn't be able to enjoy MDing and a lot of the other freedoms most Americans take for granted without the service of our vets. So just...thanks a LOT. You're the best.

Mary in PA

Obtaining a CCW is closely monitored by each State. In MI, It requires a NRA gun course with qualifying and passing a gun board that is made up of the head of the State Police Baracks, the under Sherriff, and the county Prosecutor. If one is being attack or threatened by a thug with a gun or knife, I want something in my hand other than my @#$#. Many of the thugs that could threaten us sees a high priced metal detector that they can hock for drug money. You are an easy target that is usually alone and in a not very dense area with other folks, like a park.....easy target. As a Nam vet, I would rather send the perpetrator to heaven than my going there at this time. I will sort out the justified shooting alive.l

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Since hunting the Rio Grande some 25 years ago, I carry a big knife to cut plugs and a .380 to shoot thugs. I believe in conceled carry. Never had to pull it, but it's there if I need it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread