All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I assume by "stroll down a river bed", you mean for coins/relics/jewelry, right? Ie,: not nugget hunting?

Will you have somone to coach you through, showing you the sounds, tones, swing, pinpoint, etc....? That can make a big difference on people's recommendations. Because some machines simply are not easy to learn if you are a beginner. Heck, some machines are even hated by veterans, UNTIL someone who's proficient on that machine can show them the sounds, swing speed, etc....

If you have no one to show you the ropes, then you better start simple: A 6000 di pro would be an easy to learn, out-of-the-box machine (once you get the hang of the motion disc.). But if you want to go to town and get hard-core, and if you have someone proficient around to show you in-person, the Explorer kicks b*tt for all types land and turf and beach hunting. But I would not recommend the Explorer unless you have a proficient user there to help you understand the sounds of a flock of sick geese that it gives.

OP
OP
B

BMW635

Sep 10, 2008
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your response. I will not have anybody to show me the "ropes" about MD'ing.
I am moving to Northern Alberta at months-end and will be a hours drive from
Dawsons Creek. I just want to see if there are any interesting relics still around.

If I happen to find some "nuggets"...woohoo...lol. Not actually going out of my
way to look for Gold. Believe it or not.

You mentioned the "6000 di Pro". What make is that??? I checked out E-bay and was
wondering if the Garrett Ace 150 would be good for a "virgin"???

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. BMW635.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
BMW635, if a Garrett Ace is what your looking at may I suggest you go up a step and get the Ace 250 instead? The Ace 250 is a great machine for "virgins". ;D

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
How much mula you lookin to spend?
IMHO you should expect to spend at a minimum of around $200 for a decent starter.

OP
OP
B

BMW635

Sep 10, 2008
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the price for a rig isn't really a concern. $200-$300 is what I am expecting
to cough-up.

I just need a hobby that will reduce my "high" blood pressure and keep
my doctor off my back. If I have to relax more and get more exercise then
I might as well try something new. Hopefully I can quit smoking while MDing.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Ace 250 is quick to pick up on. Read the manual and watch the cd at least twice each. You've got to put in the time to learn the machine. If your looking for gold nuggets as well, there are guys on this board that will tell you the tesoro silver Umax is better for small gold and just as good or better for coins than the ace. I've never used the silver so I can't say. Both machine are priced about the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread