Another newbee looking for a rig

Huck Mucus

Sep 11, 2008
Newbe here.

I’ve been looking at the Minelab Explorer SE Professional, only because the local rock hound shop told me I should. What say you? I read some archives here where people were trashing Minelab (but they were back in 2000).

I live in the Rocky Mountains, on the Arkansas River east of Salida. I have 35 acres completely surrounded by public land. It used to be part of a 160 acre 1860s homestead. There are lots of “stories”, if you know what I mean, that goes with this place: $20.00 Gold Eagles, guns, murder, blah, blah, blah. Several different owners died intestate, and with no heirs, etc. So, after living here ten years, I thought I’d get out and start looking around.

The land is in the mountains but on a river plain full of rocks, large and small. There is sand and dirt, but not much of what you would call “soil.” I was told that this area is unlike most of the U.S. when it comes to metal detector functions due to the make-up of the ground, thus the Minelab Explorer was better.

There is gold in the river, and probably in the old river gravels that make up most of the property, but I’m not real interested in detecting gold, especially dust and flakes. I’d like to find bigger stuff, from coins (gold or otherwise), guns, and whatnot. They could be deep or close to the surface. On the other hand, if there was a coin-sized nugget, I’d hope the machine could pick that up.

What do you people think I should buy? I’d hate to spend thousands on something that doesn’t work. I will spend that much on something that DOES work: no BS problems or lemons like I hear some units have right out of the box. The rage I would feel at the loss of money is one thing, but it would be compounded by my spending a lot of time reading directions and learning a unit only to find out, much later, from some expert, that I was not finding anything because the damn thing was not working.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Minelab, Whites, Garrett, Tesoro etc. All of the top brands have quality detectors and would not be a waste of money so far as their abilities. The hard part is finding one you enjoy using, otherwise it will end up in the corner collecting dust. If you have plenty of patience then go for the SE, DFX etc. If you have little patience like me then you better look at some other models with less learning curve involved in mastering the unit because if you go top $$ and don't master it, you have wasted your money. A 200.00 Bounty Hunter will find 80 to 90 percent of what the top units will find. That extra 10 percent is valuable but only attainable by learning the detector. My 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would talk to some locals on how the exp does on your soils, i have a lot of minerals in my area and use a t-2, ive read that the exp didnt do that well in heavy minerals, but ive never tried one. they are very popular and effective machines. good luck

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your lucky enough to have a dealer near by than that's the place to start.

If not than consider Kellyco (There's a link at the top of this page) and buy $200-$300 model and find out if you like detecting. The lower end models are designed to be easy to learn and still offer good performance and when your ready to move up you'll still have a good back up detector.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might consider a M6 or X-terra 70 (which are great! Still like the M6 best..) and spend the rest for different coils, pinpointer and diggers.....

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
try to contact a local metal detecting club and find out which ones are being used in the area and see how they're doing with various MD's, and then buy the one you feel comfortable using

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live in Buena Vista, so I am familiar with your soil/ ground. That being said , take a look at the Minelab X-Terra 70, a very good detector that you can ground balance to your soil type and with the high frequency coil(18.75 kHz) coil is a capable nugget finder. You can call me at 800-898-6673 for more information.
JW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions