Hi! Help a newbie pick a metal detector?

american_girl

Sep 14, 2008
Hi! As you can tell... I'm new to this forum! I've already found some awesome stuff by lurking. I've been thinking I might want to buy a metal detector. I've been collecting coins off and on almost all my life; I'm also interested in history, pirates, treasure stories, etc. So it kinda figures I would go for a metal detector. :wink:

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive, good quality metal detector that will work well for a newbie. I'm pretty poor (saving up for college), so something under $300 would be the best. I've looked at the Ace 250, and the Tesoro detectors look really cool but most are sadly out of my price range. Any advice from y'all on what to pick would be great! :D

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Welcome to the hobby and this site.
I think your heading in the right direction considering the ACE250,.
You should be able to find one in your price range.
Good Luck

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
i've heard remarkable things on the ace 250 for it's price range. happy hunting and good luck.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
you might want to get a sturdy digger and some sort of finds bag also. i use a two pocket carpenters tool pouch on a belt. atwoods, 10$ sadly the junk pocket is considerably larger than the goodie pocket. i use a short handle, almost child size shovel for extreme digging, a smaller stainless digger for coins, jewellry, and pulltabs of course....., and a plastic non-metal digger for passing dirt over the coil while searching for those elusive finds.... you might also check out youtube for detecting videos and MLOTV.com. both are good resources and will help with questions you may have.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Silver Umax or Garrett Ace 250

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Get the Ace 250, the Fisher F2 or something decent for 200 - 225. Use the rest for a decent digger, pouch and probe. These detectors will find most of what the 1000.00 and up detectors do and you need good accessories otherwise your detecting experience will become a tedious chore instead of a fun hobby. HH

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi the ace 250 is a great machine, but also consider getting the
snipper coil too for trashy places so you can seperate the signals.
If at some point in time you make a good find that you can sell
get the Sunray YF-1 Pin pointer which can be accuired for $179.95.

Dave

OP
OP
A

american_girl

Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm now looking at the Ace 250 and the Tesoro Silver umax. :)

One more question... would you reccomend buying detectors used or new, and is ebay reliable?

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd recommend buying a new machine. On the other hand, I have seen some pretty good detectors on Craig's list. As far as eBay goes, there are a bunch of dealers on there.

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
that's a good question with no simple answer, just some thoughts though.....if the e bay seller has good reviews and a decent price it could be worth it for a deal....however if you buy brand new from a reputable dealer then you will know what you're getting and with a warranty. i hear tesoro has a lifetime warranty and they will back it up regardless of how many owners the machine has had.....wouldn't take my word on that but worth looking into....good luck with the search :wink:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Hi American Girl, welcome to T-NET.

The Garrett ACE250 is only $212.00 so that is in your price range. You can get a Bounty hunter Quick silver at Dicks sporting goods for $169.00 which I use and is nice and works well. But whatever you get, I recommend getting the White's Bullseye II pinpointer. You can buy them brand new here on Tnet for $79. It will tell you exactly where the item in located in the hole you dug. Within a maximum of 2 inches. Depending on soil conditions and the type of material.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
dougadam said:
How about the ace 150?

The 150 is fine but lacks some features that would help you enjoy the hobby a bit more. It's more a matter of what you can afford or want to afford a new hobby. It's best to make sure it's something you are going to enjoy. I have a picture of me and my granson on my desk at work and I help customers all day long. It's amazing how many people tell me they have a detector that has been sitting in a closet for years.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
If you want to buy a used detector be sure to check out who is selling it. There are many reputable sellers on this board and on other sites, but as always there are a few bad apples. Buy from someone who has been a long term member and has some feed back posted on deals they have done with others. You can get good deals from checking dealers online used listings etc. I just got a used tesoro from richard @ backwoods detectors, so I'll vouch for him.

OP
OP
A

american_girl

Sep 14, 2008
Another question... Are the Bounty Hunters any good? I saw 'em at Academy, and they're pretty inexpensive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions