Newbie about to buy first .....

ewemule

Greenie
Sep 15, 2008
Choice is first...Garrett GTI 1500 and second....Whites M6. I have been able to see in person the M6 and it was pretty nice, also the XLT which is a bit more than I can afford but more comfortable and maybe a bit more complicated. M6 @ $599 plus 1/2 the tax or GTI 1500 @ $620 plus full tax. I plan to order the GTI on Monday 9/22. Anyone have some final advice that may steer me in perhaps a better direction ?

I am thinking along the lines of get the best detector that I can afford and learn how to use it over a period of several months +. Also I like a backlit screen as it is very likely to be dark when I get done working.

Thank you in advance,
Marty

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
i have a Garrett 1350 and love it the only difference in the 1350 and the 1500 is display it all really depends on what your using it for and for relic hunting mine has done good so far..good luck and HH

OP
OP
E

ewemule

Greenie
Sep 15, 2008
Okay, that's good. Thanks. How about a few more to boost my spirits ? I plan to hunt coins and jewelry, but since I'm in the 1812 battle area I can't rule out some relics. One thing is that I read of a few people saying they returned their Garretts soon after buying for depth loss. Just random or are there some people here with more insight ?

39 degrees this morning, wooo !

Marty

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
where do you live? the M-6 will handle minerilized soils much better, and has a good selection of coils and the are comfortably to swing, and built very well.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Depending on what you are hunting for consider the MXT. IT is a solid machine in the same price range as the M6.

The M6 is a great machine. I used one for a while before I bought my Deleon simply because of price.

Don't know about your other choice.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a garrett 1350 and the M6.. Still have the M6.. Thats all that needs to be said..

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Go with a Tesoro Deleon or Cortes, for the price they cant be beat.......they can hang with the much more expensive models and they boast a life time warranty that they really stand behind.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting to get confusing huh? I'm the new owner of a X-70 so I can't recommend it as I'm still learning what it can or can't do. I think it's going to be a great machine though. Anyway, I would certainly recommend the MXT over the M6. Good luck.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I bought the 1500 and returned it two days later to KellyCo. It wouldn't pick up an air-tested dime at 3-4 inches, and I found nothing but surface trash an my two hunts with it. It could have simply been a defective unit, but I sent it back and got the XLT. Never had a problem since!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
No offense but have you thought about buyring a used Explorer? I love my Explorer and since the E-Trac came out a lot of people have upgraded and are selling their SEs for a good price.

Just a thought.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, I'm inclined to offer a different suggestion. Unless you're absolutely certain that you will enjoy metal detecting I would not spring for the high priced machine. I have an extensive line-up of Garrett machines, including a 1350 with profiling, a 1500 with imaging, and a 2500 with imaging. I also have an ACE 250. I don't think you can really beat the 2500 for all around detecting and at the price you should be able to do most any hunting with it. The 1500 gives me less weight and a rough equivalent detecting (no chatty kathy, no true all metal, no manual ground balance) but is a very comfortable machine. The 1350 with profiling provides similar results to the 1500, but I don't have a lot of experience with it.

The detector I use MOST of all the lineup I have (MXT and DP Diver included) is the ACE 250. Absolutely the best bang for the buck of all my detecting equipment. It STAYS in my car. It is a very reasonable price, and is amazing in the features it has for that price. There are lots of ACE posts in various forums and the only negative I've seen is pinpointing takes some learning and isn't intuitive, plus it's too sensitive for many folks who want to run maximum sensitivity in poor or bad ground.

In Kentucky's sweet soil, I still generally run about half the maximum setting and I really enjoy the machine, light, sensitive, has computerized ID display and is a great beginning machine. Try finding any other machine for the low two hundreds with even half the enjoyment! It's a great little machine.

Use something like the ACE and determine if you're really going to get into detecting on a serious basis. If so, use the proceeds from your ACE finds to fund a more expensive machine.

Of course, if money doesn't matter and you can spend that kind of dough just to evaluate detecting, more power to you.

The 1500 is without a doubt a good machine and can cover lots of ground and go really deep. The 2500 is a better all around detector but costs a little more.

Sorry, I don't know the M6 but someone here will be able to provide details I'm sure. I do have the MXT and it is also a good all around detector for almost any detecting environment except deep water.

Getting enough feedback? Good luck on your decision and I hope you do enjoy the hobby once you get started.

We'll be looking for the posts of your finds.

OP
OP
E

ewemule

Greenie
Sep 15, 2008
GM Chrysler ! Cheese and rice and so on. The info is coming in hot now. I had originally looked into an ACE 250 a year ago or so and thought since I've saved enough $$ for a really good detector why not go for something more. I have been wondering about the Garrett returns I've heard about, being so soon after purchase has me wondering. Back in the day I used to get a kick out of springtime in the ski resort area parking lots from poking around the melting snow banks. So I'm pretty sure I'll be into this hobby for awhile.Also I have permission to hunt a dozen + properties along the river and they are large in acreage. Part of me is captivated by the visual aspect of some of the readouts. I really like a backlit screen, although I have an LED headlamp on me 90 % of the time. I think I'll look at the ACE 250 again and the Tesoro. I like "lifetime warranty". I don't have any trouble holding onto cash. Maybe 2 detectors ? Does the MXT have backlite ? Getting anxious, an hopefully not too foolish.

Thanks a million to all.....and god bless the internet.
Marty

OP
OP
E

ewemule

Greenie
Sep 15, 2008
Anyone seen or know of a consumer report type of site that covers our topic ? Reliability, repairs, returns, customer service,value, etc. ? Going to look at Minelab in a couple minutes. MXT looks very similar to M6 does it have more features and better depth ?

Marty

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all you want is modern coinage, then by all means get a Garrett. If you want some old, deep coins, then you should go elsewhere. I've hunted alongside a 1350 or 1500, can't remember which. Most coins that I would show to it, the machine could not hear it. And these were only 6-8" deep. Nothing super deep.

I met a guy recently who uses a 2500. All he could do was complain about how it did not get very much depth.

So, if you like old coins, then purchase something else. If you want clad, then an Ace 250 will suffice.

OP
OP
E

ewemule

Greenie
Sep 15, 2008
The more I think and read about it, the Garrett GTI 1500 may become 2nd choice. I am a bit concerned of those touch pads and how some have said they "can" wear out and some have noted a "stuck" pin point button. Where the M6 has knobs and a physical switch for pinpoint. From what I can tell the switch when pushed forward activates the 7 tone ID ? And squeeze or pull back for PP. I like the idea of a hard and fast switch or knob, pretty straight forward. Another feature is the VDI on the M6 of 0 - 100 VS GTI which give 0 - 24. That is if I understand correctly. I have a very good ear and may be better off "listening" to my hits instead of relying solely on an interpretation on a screen. I figure I'll be digging 100 % of hits for some time.

Here is a question that I'd like a solid answer on. How am I to know if the model at my local Whites dealer is this years model ? Are there serial #'s to indicate that ? I would hope that he would have one in a box and not just offer the one off the rack that everyone and their kids have been knocking around with in the parking lot. At these prices I want assurance. When he says he sells 2-3 detectors a year (maybe), how can he afford to hang onto the ones that don't sell ? Can he send back what he's got left and say send me next years models ? He has from Prizm to DFX.

Thank you again,
Marty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions