Rail Road Tracks

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems I have read someplace before that some detect down rail road tracks. Have you ever? What did you find thats interesting? I realize I would find lots of nuts and bolts and spikes. But there are so many miles of tracks it seems they might turn up something interesting.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Some of the nails in the ends of the ties are collectable.The code on the head give the yr,and line they were made for.They kinda resemble a roofing nail.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I begun walking rails the end of last year. Not so much for the spikes but to find old foundations along the tracks.
Rails were some of the earliest means of transportation and towns and such sprung up around them....and some towns disappeared. Some houses and towns were demo'ed to make way for the tracks.

You got to look hard and use your imagination...but there are lots of lost places along rails.
Al

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a rail line was in place as far back as the beginning of the 20th century, search out from the old switches, bridge abutments, and way stations. You may find an old cache. KVM wrote that these places were often used as markers to hid caches because railroads were thought to be permanent and would always be "there". Old Hobo Jungles are other places to look for. Even Hobos had coins, tokens, knives, etc.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
If a rail line was in place as far back as the beginning of the 20th century, search out from the old switches, bridge abutments, and way stations. You may find an old cache. KVM wrote that these places were often used as markers to hid caches because railroads were thought to be permanent and would always be "there". Old Hobo Jungles are other places to look for. Even Hobos had coins, tokens, knives, etc.
very true also you might find old RR locks

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
Shortstack said:
very true also you might find old RR locks

I forgot to mention that the search should cover an area out to about a 50 yard radius. The spots mentioned were used as reference points.

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area the railroad police would haul you away for trespassing on RR property.
Good luck and be careful out there.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
999slvrfx said:
In my area the railroad police would haul you away for trespassing on RR property.
your right that is a concern. Here in cali i was detecting a RR and saw a sign no trespassing so i left but it was put there because of the homeless living close to the tracks.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
999slvrfx said:
your right that is a concern. Here in cali i was detecting a RR and saw a sign no trespassing so i left but it was put there because of the homeless living close to the tracks.

You want to get out of the big cities and work from real small towns and communities. RR cops shouldn't be around THERE. But, of course, the best chances at real caches will be the bigger, OLD towns and old town sections which could be a little dangerous because that's usually the armpit part of town. It's a balancing act. Go into the areas, without your detector and do some serious scouting.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RE: what shortstack said, make sure you wipe/wash your shoes, too after walking the tracks in small towns or remote areas. On all the older trains , iirc, the toilets dump directly onto the tracks. They never used to carry grey water!

I always remember taking the Amtrak to Eugene, OR to visit my father, who worked for the RR. I remember they used to close the bathrooms through Portland, OR and I asked him why that was. He said this was the reason.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
airborne1092 said:
RE: what shortstack said, make sure you wipe/wash your shoes, too after walking the tracks in small towns or remote areas. On all the older trains , iirc, the toilets dump directly onto the tracks. They never used to carry grey water!

I always remember taking the Amtrak to Eugene, OR to visit my father, who worked for the RR. I remember they used to close the bathrooms through Portland, OR and I asked him why that was. He said this was the reason.
wow didnt know that :o

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a bunch of old tracks around NW Oregon that I would love to hunt.
Once found a web site that showed the discontinued spurs for past decades but 'puter crashes lost it.
Much logging in the coast range. Even a TV show about it nowadays, but back when, they didn't have the trucks or roads.
Would like to build a little "car" that would travel these old abandoned tracks.
(The rail width or gauge is the same as old Roman chariots and covered wagons I was told.)
Finding an old logging site/camp might turn up some neat treasures.
Also getting into some areas might be good for hunting/fishing.
Lots of iron around for sure but perhaps other goodies.
HH
Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread