NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Question? Is there any company currently building TR type detectors that offer non-motion hunting? If so, what brand? It has to be able to detect minimum 4 inches deep and maximum 6 inches deep? This is not for me, but a friend of mine who has been reading that there is no need for an expensive machine that goes deeper, because it has been proven that coins do NOT sink on their own any deeper than 6 inches. If you PM me, I will tell you the company that has made these claims. I have told my friend that coins DO end up deeper, but not on their own. Earth worms, lawn cutting, dirt redistribution, construction, etc., etc, all help to make them appear deeper. I am trying to stop him from making a bad decision, I told him that the company making these claims is trying to sell him something that may disappoint him badly and that he will be missing out on some good deep targets. C'mon people we all know that most areas that at one time held shallow targets are just about gone, except in the colonial areas in the woods. My friend wants to deal with this company, because they have a Christian selling a particular model in their line. I reminded my friend, that there are many people like that, that will sell you anything to make a buck. And according to these claims it appears to me that, that is what they are doing. There are reportedly in print somewhere, the proof of these claims, which he (my friend) has been unable to relocate again) and neither can I. Thanks for any answers or info on this subject........NGE Larry

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of no manufacturer that is still making these dinosaur type detectors. I liked the old TR's for their zero motion pinpointing ability but depth was lacking in most soil. About 4 inches is all you could get and you might get a little deeper on a silver dollar or half, but not on clad at all. They could be unstable now days with cell phone transmissions, EM fields, etc. unless you lived in upper Canada where it is as dead as a Georgia swamp for interference. Your friend wants to deal with this Christian person because he believes Chirstian's won't cheat him. ::)

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend knows many alleged Christians who have cheated him in the past, but still he gives them all a chance. After all, he still gives me a chance, and he says I am the rare bird, as I haven't cheated him yet, I have known him for over 38 years. Just hate seeing the poor guy getting baited again >:(. He can't find where he read those ridiculous claims, so I can't go there and read and ask for myself.......NGE

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jay, the TR mode on the type units you refer to, are TR-disc. There is also TR all-metal, which I interpretted this inquiry to be about. A TR all-metal would be like the Compass 77b, Whites 66tr, etc.... While no one makes TR discriminators anymore (WAY out-classed by modern discriminators), there is actually still a manufacturer of TR all-metal units. The name is "Viking"

http://www.metaldetectorshop.co.uk/viking/vikingmetaldetectors.htm

Even though all-metal TRs lacked depth, worked poorly in minerals, and had no discrimination, they did have one selling point that continues to be sought after, thus still manufactured: Although they had no discrimination, they had the odd ability to ignore small iron (nails etc...). So while foil and silver dollars might all sound the same, yet they would give no signal over small iron. Bigger iron like RR spikes, cast iron, etc... would sound off (but was tell-tale so you could still ignore). So basically, they did have a basic iron disc in the way they operated. But in addition to ignoring small iron, they would also see through iron pretty good. You could pass over 4 or 5 nails and not get a signal. But if a coin were under those nails, you would pick it up. That makes them pretty durn good ghost town machines (where you plan to dig everything conductive anyhow).

But that's about where the benefits end. They're a bear to keep balanced, and probably have 6" as their max on coin sized targets. Actually the 77b might go to 8" or so if you listed REAL carefully. Not sure how deep these Viking TR units go, but from what I saw of one, it was pretty similar to the 77b.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Tom_in_CA said:
Jay, the TR mode on the type units you refer to, are TR-disc. There is also TR all-metal, which I interpretted this inquiry to be about. A TR all-metal would be like the Compass 77b, Whites 66tr, etc....

Yes, quite right

While no one makes TR discriminators anymore (WAY out-classed by modern discriminators), there is actually still a manufacturer of TR all-metal units. The name is "Viking"

Interesting. I did not know that.

Jay

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
Well, 80% of america claims to be christians but they couldn't tell you a single one of the ten commandments or tell you what it even means to be a christian. Its rare that you meet a person that is sold out to Jesus but they are out there... :)

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a straight up, no chaser, King James Bible believing Christian, but I'm leary as all get out of salespeople who trot that out when they are getting ready to sell me something. They scare me way worse than the AC/DC t-shirt wearing cat with tattoos head to toe. Maybe that's a bad way to be, but it's the way I am. Now if through normal conversation I find out you are a Christian and I'm about to buy something from you, that's fine. But if you come at me knowing I'm a Christian and start working that angle on me, I'll bolt.
Most of what I find is 6" or less, but I have found deeper stuff. If you are working parks and stuff where dirt is brought in from time to time, things can be deeper. The schoolyard behind our house has been re-leveled umteen times. They scrape it, move it around, bring in more dirt, etc. So you are liable to find stuff at any depth, and generally I do. The Transmitter-Reciever machines were popular back in the 70's. Here's a picture of a Garrett from that era.

HH,
Ramapirate

Attachments

• Treasure Mag Back.jpg
    Treasure Mag Back.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 216

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
Coins don't "sink" at all, or very little anyway. It's a process called soil overburden where cut grass, fallen leaves and the like form soils on top of the coin or other object. Here in Louisiana, where we have "no end" of trees, you can easily find 90's era coins 8 inches deep, and I have. But on the other hand, I found an 1897 "V" nickel 2 inches deep where there was no lawn or trees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread