the wait is over.....NEW U.S. PENNY DESIGNS FOR 2009!!! What do you think!?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
newpennies.jpg

Thats the picture!

Heres the article:

http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2008/02/the-thing-of-a-thing-of-a-thing-/the-new-lincoln-penny.html

My grandma just told me about them tonight! She saw it on news! Its awesome

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the mint should mess with the design. If they want to "fix" something that isn't broken, let them use a metal alloy that doesn't contain zinc.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am agreeing with Shortstack on this one. It costs more to mint a penny than it is worth now, so we are throwing good money away just so they can have a new looking penny. We lose more zinc coins to the elements every year, yet nobody acknowledges us bringing many back into circulation.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in before the people that lambaste Lincoln as being the cause of THE CIVIL WAR :thumbsup:
i like it fine kid :wink:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
A zinker is still a zinker and clad is still clad and it is all junk

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the look of the one with the Cabin.
I think they should just make that Perminant.

as For lincoln, Other Presidents, real people
Images & Government Buildings
They can Trash them all from our Coinage.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Sandman said:
I am agreeing with Shortstack on this one. It costs more to mint a penny than it is worth now, so we are throwing good money away just so they can have a new looking penny. We lose more zinc coins to the elements every year, yet nobody acknowledges us bringing many back into circulation.

Well put Sandman, I've had to tighten my belt the last few years. I think its time for the government to do the same. This is change for the sake of change. So some bureaucrat can justify their existence, or the existence of the dept they work at. I mean its not like paper money that needed counterfeiting protection. I haven't heard about anyone counterfeiting pennies yet.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cent should've gone the way of the Groschen 15 years ago.  I think the designs *stink*--just like most of the coin designs since the first half of this century.  What happened to putting Liberty on a coin?  I don't like worshipping a buncha Dead Guys when I reach into my pockets for change.  Abolish the cent!  And round up or down to the nickel.  Place Liberty on a dollar coin, and mandate that the vending machines actually ACCEPT it--so that it circulates.  Maybe place a Sexy Liberty on a snazzy new $2 coin, and catch up with the rest of the world on this--As well as giving Clad hunters something worth finding! 

I've always felt it's what was great about this country--to place a symbol of what we believe in on our coins.  Liberty.  Placing a historical figure on a coin is limiting.  It doesn't embody an ideal--it merely commemorates.  The rest of the world placed their Rulers and Monarchs on coins when our mint was opened.   >:(

Get rid of that danged penny already--they were talking about it back in 1990, for Christ's sake!  Save all that money from the materials and time used to make 5 BILLION pennies each year, and Do something with it--besides Bail out companies that don't deserve it.   ::)

Just my humble opinion...

-Buckles

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zinc is Evil. Said it before, will say it again. Zinc=Evil. Can't wait to be the first to a dig a corroded "new" Lincoln. Can't wait.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
The new penny is just another mediocre example of the totally inept and wrongheaded approach to coinage that has prevailed in this country for the last 60 years.

Firstly, all presidents, president's wives(huh?) ,feminist icons, and any other persons should be removed from our coins
This is (supposed to be) a Republic, not a monarchy
It is not an accident that the use of presidents on coins parallels the growth of the federal government

Secondly, the devices on coins should derived from classical themes(i e. The Goddess of Liberty), symbolic animals, Early Americana, and perhaps themes related to science and commerce. Abstract or geometric designs could also work well.
For a good example, the platinum bullion coins I think are one the better coins of the last few decades because they incorporate some of these themes with mostly well executed designs

Thirdly, the penny should be abolished, since tragically the dollar is worth so little that the penny is just an annoyance and a money loser

So, no, I do not like the new penny, and remain disgruntled with the entire current US coinage with the notable exception of the bullion coins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread