Radio Shack Discovery 2000

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
spisswgt said:
So its legal to metal detect at a normal public fishing lake, right? There are two lakes near my house that have been around since the 1800's. Thought I might go detect at them. Can you detect wherever you want at a lake? Please someone let me know.

Public swimming areas should be ok, but private property you will need permission.

Ray S

OP
OP
spisswgt

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
So I can't just go dig a hole somewhere in the ground at the lake? Its gotta be near the dock by the swimming area?

T

trish76642

i live on a lake, say you pulled up in a boat and got out, as long as you stayed in the water and didnt step foot on my property, there wouldnt be anything i could do about it.
Hope that helps.

unless your at a public swimming area, there you can do what ever you want as long as your not bothering anyone. no problems there.

OP
OP
spisswgt

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
I'm not going to detect IN the water... I was wanting to detect in the swimming area on the shoreline.. and also just walk around and detect on the land.. its a public lake, no one can live on this one...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you should be OK, but some states don't allow detecting and the same goes for some state. city and county parks. Even then maybe nobody cares. But leave the ground looking like you found it and remove all trash with you goes a long way to make sure you can detect there again.

Good Luck and have fun.

T

trish76642

spisswgt said:
I'm not going to detect IN the water... I was wanting to detect in the swimming area on the shoreline.. and also just walk around and detect on the land.. its a public lake, no one can live on this one...
You'll be fine....Go for it!

Ricklt

Greenie
Jul 30, 2008
Branson, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III
Metal detecting is not allowed on most lakes in Missouri. The few where it is allowed you need a permit. There are also some places where you can MD on Corp of Engineers land, but you also need a permit there which you can get from you local Corp office. Hope this helps.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Spitting on the side walk in N.Y. city is illegal but rarely enforced. Go for it, most cops won't even know the law let alone stop to enforce it. Without a complaint they'd just as soon leave john q public alone cause it ain't worth the paper work.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
MD dog, you say: "Spitting on the side walk in N.Y. city is illegal but rarely enforced. Go for it" How can you be such a lawless reckless individual? Tsk tsk. It's people like you who give this hobby a bad name. Now I expect you'll recant, and start asking permission for even the most innocuous modern sandbox. In fact .... start asking permission to leave your front door and venture out anywhere, to do anything, lest someone take offense! :P

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Told you I'm an advocate for the people, besides he ain't in a Liberal stronghold like N.Y. where they elect outta staters like Hilly just so they look good. But watch what happens here when it comes to electing a black man. They'll have no choice but to admit he didn't win N.Y. because of the bigotry of the dems since the repubs weren't gonna vote for him anyway. So my point is, you go jumping in a lake around here and they'll call the cops faster than you can yell osama the obama. Then they'll claim your polluting it because your MD has batteries.
:D :D :D ;D

T

trish76642

Tom_in_CA said:
MD dog, you say: "Spitting on the side walk in N.Y. city is illegal but rarely enforced. Go for it" How can you be such a lawless reckless individual? Tsk tsk. It's people like you who give this hobby a bad name. Now I expect you'll recant, and start asking permission for even the most innocuous modern sandbox. In fact .... start asking permission to leave your front door and venture out anywhere, to do anything, lest someone take offense! :P
Ooops! Wait a minute! MD's not the only reckless individual on here! I told him to do it too! :tongue3: lol
Only thing, at my lake, no one cares what you do as long as you dont destroy anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread