opinion getting started

taggerd

Greenie
Feb 21, 2008
hello,i am fixing to purchase a white metal detector trying to decide between dfx and mxt.recently i got permission to hunt a 83 year old mans land.he has two houses still standing but very trashy.one his grandpa built in 1910 and the other moved in in 1934.my question is which detector would be best for old homesteads and when i get started at these sights what is the best way to go about getting started.oh and the house that was built in 1910 was added on to a house that was already there.any advise and/or opinion appreciated.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
You need to read up on or check them both out. They are two very different animals. Making the right decision here could make all the difference in how much enjoyment you get out of detecting. There is much more to it but the short answer (very short) is the DFX has allot of features available and to reap the rewards of the DFX you have to be patient and learn it. I have no patience so I opted for the MXT after trying them both. Give me some switches and knobs and a hot machine like the MXT and I am happy. Good luck on your decision. You have it down to a choice of two which is tough enough. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest the M6...Use the money saved for a 5.3 or 4x6 small coil for looking through the trash.. In my mild ground the 5.3 is great, much better than the 4x6...

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I agree with Tim. The DFX is a fine machine if, you have the patience to learn it. I have an MXT that I LOVE. Mr. Pepper has the M6 and he is happy with it. I agree with cosmic on getting the 4x6 small coil if you can. If possible I'd spring for a pin pointer first if you can't afford the small coil and pin pointer at the same time. Good luck......Pepper

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tin Nugget said:
You need to read up on or check them both out. They are two very different animals. Making the right decision here could make all the difference in how much enjoyment you get out of detecting. There is much more to it but the short answer (very short) is the DFX has allot of features available and to reap the rewards of the DFX you have to be patient and learn it. I have no patience so I opted for the MXT after trying them both. Give me some switches and knobs and a hot machine like the MXT and I am happy. Good luck on your decision. You have it down to a choice of two which is tough enough. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

I agree. If you want to start enjoying the hobby right away I would also go with the MXT, hands down. The MXT could possibly be the only detector you'll ever need.

S

stefen

possibly you could rent a machine first and see which one suits your purposes...beats putting out a bunch of bucks and kicking yourself later.

OP
OP
T

taggerd

Greenie
Feb 21, 2008
thanks for input i got the mxt and bullseye 2 plus headphones soft bag 950 coil not the big un and the rechargeable pack with charger for 1028.00 from beverly coin shop in wichita falls from jim very good service.when i told him other people ie daughter and dad might use it he said to stay away from dfx for now.very happy and thanks again. i appreciate opionions from people like yall.happy swiningin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread