Efffective Letter?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I think you'll get some good replies... thats been talked about here before.

I personaly always have asked face to face.

Except in the one instance where I emailed a letter to our county for permission to some of their land. I do not have a copy of that email, but it was a good one! LOL :tard: And it resulted in a legal contract with county lawyers that I could whip out and throw in the face of anyone who had heartache with my being there.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of how often you have trown junk mail away. It is far better to visit them in person and hand them a business card. You might not get permission right then, but they can call you back. At least they have your number.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the good advice Sandman but I am wanting to go on land here in NC and the owners live in Florida. Not to handy to drop by with my card. I did intend to stick my card in with the letter.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There are various search-&-salvage agreement contracts that have circulated on forums before, but basically, as Sandman says, they will get thrown away (just like you and I do with junkmail from total strangers).

If you are in NC, and the "owners" are in FL, who's watching the land? What kind of "land" are we talking about here? A vacant/abanonded lot? A rental house's front yard? etc....

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom In Cal. We are talking about 15 acres of land with a house by the road that is vacant and boarded up. Built in the early 1900's with a chain link fence around it and no trespassing signs. And back in the woods and fields behind it is an old farm stead with all the out buildings, also vacant and you can't even see it from the road, I saw it on Google Earth. The farm place has no good traveled roads going to it only some paths through the woods and pastures around it. Don't know how old but I suspect much older than the house buy the road. Someone is keeping horses on the land, it is fenced. I go on there and the people who own the horses might think I am screwing around with their stock. To me it is obvious that the owners of the land and buildings must not mind others on their property, they look to be renting out the pastures. Could be that the horses belong to some kin that live in the area. I have no way to find out who belongs to the horses unless I stake out the place and wait for someone to come by and tend to them.

I vote for the Sheriff, he thinks the right way, but I don't want to meet one of his flying monkeys while standing on someone else's property with a metal detector and a few coins in my pocket.

I asked a simple question, I know my motives. If no one has an answer it is fine. I'll write my own letter, with my wording. I was just trying to find out if there was some wording that others have used that worked for them.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
I think you'll get some good replies... thats been talked about here before

Montana Jim, You are obviously a very optimistic person. Thank you for the positive response.
Mac

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Mac In Oak Ridge said:
Tom In Cal.  We are talking about 15 acres of land with a house by the road that is vacant and boarded up. Built in the early 1900's with a chain link fence around it and no trespassing signs.  And back in the woods and fields behind it is an old farm stead with all the out buildings, also vacant and you can't even see it from the road, I saw it on Google Earth.  The farm place has no good traveled roads going to it only some paths through the woods and pastures around it.  Don't know how old but I suspect much older than the house buy the road.  Someone is keeping horses on the land, it is fenced.  I go on there and the people who own the horses might think I am screwing around with their stock.  To me it is obvious that the owners of the land and buildings must not mind others on their property, they look to be renting out the pastures.  Could be that the horses belong to some kin that live in the area.  I have no way to find out who belongs to the horses unless I stake out the place and wait for someone to come by and tend to them.

I vote for the Sheriff, he thinks the right way,  but I don't want to meet one of his flying monkeys while standing on someone else's property with a metal detector and a few coins in my pocket.

I asked a simple question, I know my motives.  If no one has an answer it is fine.  I'll write my own letter, with my wording.  I was just trying to find out if there was some wording that others have used that worked for them.

Maybe a note posted to the horse gate - perhaps those folks who own the horses can grant permission.

Have you considered calling these folks on the phone?

Don't get impatient Mac... only a few have responded... let a few more chime in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions