Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it would be kinda hard to kill and butcher an animal with a nutting stone and there are no projectile points or blades pictured so your comment makes no sense. But that doesn't mean that some of the pictured items weren't used as tools. Kind of a lame argument don't you think?
Gee, I'm not arguing and no I don't think. They were posted as stone tools, not just a nutting stone and some rocks as you say. I'm suggesting to Matt a way to determine if certain rocks may indeed have been used as tools. To be blunt, they're all just common rocks. I don't see any evidence of use or working on any of them. That 'nutting stone' will never work. Don't believe me, place a black walnut on it, hit it with a hammer stone and that nutting stone will bounce all around or probably just shatter. My ancestors made and used stone tools and they applied some craftsmanship to them. But I have seen my grandpa knock off a crude quartz flake and use it to cut some willow stems. I've done the same thing. A very good test to apply to suspected artifacts is 'could I use this' and 'how could I use this' and my favorite, 'does this work'. In the use of tools, we really aren't that much different than our ancestors.

Last edited:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm puzzled by this whole effort. You keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. It is just not rational to discount the quite consistent opinions of those who have replied. In any realm, those who amass experience and knowledge in an area are those who create a baseline from which the next advances are made, and the process repeats itself until the distance between the layman and the expert is too big to deny. To discount this process, which it seems you are doing, is what is drawing the responses you are getting. If an authority on stone tools says they are stone tools, that would be awesome. I hope that happens, because frankly I would love for these to be real.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In any place you can find rocks, you can find rocks that you can see as "tools". Not impossible that a few of your rocks were used once or twice as a crude tool, but in the end there is nothing to suggest that they actually were. I can find 100's like these any day. If you're having fun with them, good for you. A "artifact" will generally have some sign of human alteration, maybe not always, but almost always. If they haven't been altered into a tool they are generally just rocks. The fact that they have a shape or feature, that could conceivably be used as a tool, just doesn't give much reason to see it as a tool. I find it interesting that you haven't posted even one picture of a clearly worked lithic instrument, which if you were in a area that contained this many artifacts, it would seem likely that you would have found at least one obvious worked tool. Just my two cents.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are correct Matt, you have found the wrong site to post on. Saying that what members here have to say "means Jack" clearly indicates that you may well need to take your stuff elsewhere. There are people on here often with the same type of common not man worked stones or rocks who see things in them but they are generally not so snide in replying when they are told their finds are not artifacts. I agree with the others that your finds are natural rocks and not artifacts and I don't really care if that "means Jack" to you since as the jailer in "Cool Hand Luke" said, "some men just can't be reached". Please understand that we are not belittling your knowledge or finds, we are just trying to educate you a little bit and if you find that painful or decide that what we have to say is worthless, there is nothing we can do to help your education. If and when you actually find a nice artifact I guarantee we will all be congratulating you so don't take it as an affront when we tell you your finds are not in fact artifacts.

OP
OP
M

matthew8606

Sep 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I did, I found a piece of obsidian that was turned in to a little knife/hide scaper, I've been looking everywhere for it. and if you notice the hide scraper that I posted clearly shows working marks.. It may not look like it but it's an old piece.. My area is not tools of flint napping.. these are made from a glacier that settled, strong hard rock. I haven't seen hardly any flint in this area. It may not look like it but a lot of these are much older and brittle than they seem. For example the hide scraper in the pic above.. if I soaked it in water for two long and took the brush to it I would lose all the marking. of course not all of them are of such but a lot are. I personally don't think that all of these are artifacts.. a lot of them have notches. The fact of the matter is that I posted 3 artifacts that I have already gotten authenticated, And no one has said anything about them. That just proves to me that no matter how long you you've been doing this it doesn't mean you know it all because you obviously don't. And that right there is facts! We all learn something new everyday.. well.. Some of us do that is., lol

Last edited:

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree those are products of nature; not man.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I did, I found a piece of obsidian that was turned in to a little knife/hide scaper, I've been looking everywhere for it. and if you notice the hide scraper that I posted clearly shows working marks.. It may not look like it but it's an old piece.. My area is not tools of flint napping.. these are made from a glacier that settled, strong hard rock. I haven't seen hardly any flint in this area. It may not look like it but a lot of these are much older and brittle than they seem. For example the hide scraper in the pic above.. if I soaked it in water for two long and took the brush to it I would lose all the marking. of course not all of them are of such but a lot are. I personally don't think that all of these are artifacts.. a lot of them have notches. The fact of the matter is that I posted 3 artifacts that I have already gotten authenticated, And no one has said anything about them. That just proves to me that no matter how long you you've been doing this it doesn't mean you know it all because you obviously don't. And that right there is facts! We all learn something new everyday.. well.. Some of us do that is., lol

''I posted 3 artifacts that I have already gotten authenticated''

To clarify, are you stating 3 of these stones in this post have been authenticated? If so which 3 because I would like to learn something new. This is not my area of interest but I do pick up plenty of Neolithic worked Flint.

OP
OP
M

matthew8606

Sep 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted three that have already been authenticated and yet no one has said a single thing about them? And I should take everyone's advice that they're not artifacts? Yea.. ok.... I've educated myself plenty.. Just thought maybe I actually found a site where flint napping wasn't the only thing people knew of.. lol I'm done hear. Good day.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You going to have to point them out, because I see nothing that appears to be worked. If soaking a rock in what and doing a light brushing removes the signs of alteration, the stone is probably too insubstantial for use as a tool.

OP
OP
M

matthew8606

Sep 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly (flint) that's all these people know of. lol One of them is a drill.. one is a scraper and the other is a spear head. Neither of them are (flint)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly (flint) that's all these people know of. lol One of them is a drill.. one is a scraper and the other is a spear head. Neither of them are (flint)
It's all I'm familiar with, but I'm sure some of your US friends have plenty experience of non-flint tools.
I feel like I'm being thick because those 3 descriptions doesn't narrow it down for me, other than maybe that huge wedged piece might be the scraper? or the smaller one with your index finger hovering over it??
Just for me, please post just those 3 in the next post, so I can give it further thought? Cheers

San Antone

Jun 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star,
Garrett Ace 350,
Fisher Gemini-3
Primary Interest:
Other
Matt, hate to see you leave and hope you don't harbor any ill feelings to anyone on this forum. Good luck in your journey for knowledge. When the light bulb finally turns on, please come on back. I for one will never hesitate to help you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a FYI, there is a lot of experience in non flint artifacts here, just show some that are actual artifacts.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew your pis sing into wind with these guys. Take them to sign and symbols of treasure or markers for finding treasure tread

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first and ninth pictures are for sure. The others a possibility

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest: