Not open for further replies.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Oh Boy!

You should start another thread featuring the knife and tomahawk you just showed.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not an argument. I understand to a degree what you are saying. My problem is really simple. You look at 2 pics an say it is natural. He spent a lot more time diagnosing. He pointed out striations notches and how nice the work was done for the purpose of the anchor. I think anybody who is my situation would understand my issues. And when you discredit an archeologists opinion when all you have seen is 2 pics that say's a lot about you.

Also I have seen the hoard of California artifacts. Very few are grooved axes or the things I see on line. Most of the items I have seen are of geometric design very beautiful well made tools with lots of angles. Very seldom you see the same design. The hafting methods are different on each one. Some have opposite notches on both sides others are narrowed towards the back by pecking and grinding with clear notches on the side of the bodies as opposed to the top. I have access to looking at these whenever I want. As mentioned I am learning you however need to open up the possibility that because you don't recognize something does not mean it is not authentic. You do not have to reply to my threads but are welcome to.

Also everybody keeps telling me they are here to help me. I believe this with the exception of a few disrespectful posters that back each other up like children.

jamus, archaeologists don't collect artifacts. Collectors collect artifacts. Collectors see and handle far more artifacts then archaeologists do, on average.

"And when you discredit an archaeologists opinion when all you have seen is 2 pics that says a lot about you"

And what it says, jamus, is I know more then the archaeologist knows regarding whether or not the rock is natural or altered by man. And I only needed two photos to do that. That's what it says, jamus. And, since what I am saying is the truth, there is no point in me beating around the bush just to protect the reputation of an unnamed archaeologist.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In other words, jamus, it is not my fault that the unnamed archaeologist is mistaken. You came to a place where there are many qualified and experienced individuals who can rather easily see that you are posting photos of rocks that are not artifacts. And guess what, jamus? That too is not our fault. You have had several qualified and experienced collectors tell you the truth. You don't have to accept our opinion. However, referencing unnamed archaeologists won't cut it at all, when our own eyes and decades of experience quite clearly tell us that your rocks are not artifacts, are not altered by man. It does not work this way: "If an archaeologist says it's an artifact, even if it's clearly not, then it's an artifact."
No, jamus, that doesn't cut it. If all the visible evidence presented demonstrates it is not an artifact, then citing an unnamed archaeologist who thinks otherwise tells us, quite clearly, that either that archaeologist probably said no such thing, you were mistaken in what you heard him tell you, or that archaeologist was not experienced to render an accurate assessment. Or even that he had other reasons for telling you whatever be told you. That's for him to explain. All we can do is tell you the truth. Period. And the truth is your rock is a rock, not an artifact.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is another type of bluestone we have. A knife. Maybe not recognized as a knife to some. This is a nice one though.

I tried to take the picture so the shadow shows the flaked out portion to create the notch to haft.

View attachment 1365346

View attachment 1365348

This is very obviously not an artifact. It is an unaltered rock. jamus, if you wanted to be a doctor, would you just start a practice without a single day of medical school? Why in the world you would decide you know how to identify artifacts on the basis of zero experience, on the basis of no effort to educate yourself on how to distinguish artifact from geofact is puzzling, to say the least. Whatever, you are indeed mistaken. It does not look like a knife for the very obvious reason that it is not a knife. Someday, you may have the experience you need to find actual artifacts. And when that day comes, I suspect you will remember back to the days when you insisted ordinary rocks were more then ordinary, and realize you had so much to learn, but demonstrated an extreme aversion to accepting opinions of those who knew far more then you did when you lacked that experience.....

Education does not have to be this painful. But first you have to admit you have a problem. And that problem is assuming you somehow know more then you actually do. Right now, unfortunately, you're too resistant to learning. Rather then allow yourself to learn, you fight learning tooth and nail. Too bad, but you may get it some day. Keep,looking, the real artifacts are out there to be found.....

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Lots of great advice given here. It's a shame jamus is unwilling to learn from experienced artifact collectors and actually appreciate their efforts in an attempt to educate him so he can actually recover and rescue true artifacts. I'm sure everyone one of us packed home our fair share of "rocks" when we first started out. If it wasn't for the willing to learn from the experienced, then we all would still be packing rocks home. An open mind and trusting in those who have the experience you don't, that's how you become a successful artifact hunter. I wish you luck jamus and hope to see some actual artifact finds from you soon. What you have shown us so far are not artifacts.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of great advice given here. It's a shame jamus is unwilling to learn from experienced artifact collectors and actually appreciate their efforts in an attempt to educate him so he can actually recover and rescue true artifacts. I'm sure everyone one of us packed home our fair share of "rocks" when we first started out. If it wasn't for the willing to learn from the experienced, then we all would still be packing rocks home. An open mind and trusting in those who have the experience you don't, that's how you become a successful artifact hunter. I wish you luck jamus and hope to see some actual artifact finds from you soon. What you have shown us so far are not artifacts.

Well I'll tell you where the creeks is I'm working I think I took all the rocks home and now there are only artifacts left.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamus, archaeologists don't collect artifacts. Collectors collect artifacts. Collectors see and handle far more artifacts then archaeologists do, on average.

"And when you discredit an archaeologists opinion when all you have seen is 2 pics that says a lot about you"

And what it says, jamus, is I know more then the archaeologist knows regarding whether or not the rock is natural or altered by man. And I only needed two photos to do that. That's what it says, jamus. And, since what I am saying is the truth, there is no point in me beating around the bush just to protect the reputation of an unnamed archaeologist.

Sorry to upset you Charl. If you were in my shoes and got the opinions where I am from you would understand where I am coming from. Also do you have muddy sloughs leading to a bay or ever studied canoes and canoe anchors from California. If not just maybe give me a chance and I may build some credibility.

Also Archeologists may not collect but all there finds are hoarded at the schools they teach. The public very rarely ever gets to see these items. They don't even want to donate the items to museums . Thus the reason a lot of artifacts are unrecognizable Trust me I asked why they are not donated and he got a little red in the face. They consider this there collection and trust me they are the biggest collections out there.

As mentioned I can see you are sincere. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned in you're literature that sometimes even when something looks real you have a hard time acknowledging that it is an artifact. You even mentioned that you are the opposite of people who think everything is an artifact. I believe equally so you have a difficulty acknowledging artifacts you are unfamiliar with. There is a ying to the yang. Most of you guys have the yang. I noticed compared to other sites something dramatically wrong with this one.

Last edited:

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Little do you know I have and read you're posts and enjoy them very much. Of course the ones not related to me haha! I have learned from you. I have found hammerstones next to mortars. You stated only on a controlled dig are hammer stones legit. The next best thing is a site and that goes for all artifacts. I only look at sites. Also whether you believe it or not I am writing a preliminary report on one site right now. I will pm you and some others with my email if you would like to see what I am working with.

Here is a beautiful site I found and studied there are artifacts all over as it has not been visited very often.

Take note of the fruit tree. Fruit trees only live 25 to 50 years this one is still alive after over 100 plus years of being abandoned. It shows proof that Natives new how to split nodes to create 2 branches {pruning} as the only way a fruit tree can live longer then it's natural life span. Note how deep the mortars are and how they were built up around the edges also note how this majestic fruit tree still bears fruit and was trained sideways to provide shade for the mortars.

Here is a beautiful site I found utilizing certain techniques that I use to fnd sites. I have found several camps this summer. Most I do not remove anything do to the property being public. I will take some on sight pics of some very interesting artifacts that you may have never seen on site.

Also note the rocks piled up so the little ones can help mom prepare meals. The oldest known fruit tree is about 400 years old I wonder how old this one is. :icon_thumright:

View attachment 1366130

View attachment 1366131

View attachment 1366136

View attachment 1366141
e
None of your attachments work. Please re-upload for our pleasure. Thank you.

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Little do you know I have and read you're posts and enjoy them very much. Of course the ones not related to me haha! I have learned from you. I have found hammerstones next to mortars. You stated only on a controlled dig are hammer stones legit. The next best thing is a site and that goes for all artifacts. I only look at sites. Also whether you believe it or not I am writing a preliminary report on one site right now. I will pm you and some others with my email if you would like to see what I am working with.

Here is a beautiful site I found and studied there are artifacts all over as it has not been visited very often.

Take note of the fruit tree. Fruit trees only live 25 to 50 years this one is still alive after over 100 plus years of being abandoned. It shows proof that Natives new how to split nodes to create 2 branches {pruning} as the only way a fruit tree can live longer then it's natural life span. Note how deep the mortars are and how they were built up around the edges also note how this majestic fruit tree still bears fruit and was trained sideways to provide shade for the mortars.

Here is a beautiful site I found utilizing certain techniques that I use to fnd sites. I have found several camps this summer. Most I do not remove anything do to the property being public. I will take some on sight pics of some very interesting artifacts that you may have never seen on site.

Also note the rocks piled up so the little ones can help mom prepare meals. The oldest known fruit tree is about 400 years old I wonder how old this one is. :icon_thumright:

View attachment 1366130

View attachment 1366131

View attachment 1366136

View attachment 1366141
e
None of your attachments seem to work. Please re-upload for our pleasure. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread