Adze?

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple pics. Looks like a ground stone Adze worked from one side to the bit except the bit is angled . Learning a lot here thanks to the guys who reached out.:icon_thumleft:

The bit has some chips or wear.
20161014_171201.jpg
2016-10-14 17.06.01.jpg 2016-10-14 20.34.08.jpg 20161014_130238.jpg 20161014_170351.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing I see says worked by man...

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
The "bit has chips or wear"? That rock has no bit and is nothing more than a creek rock. Not trying to beat you up but that's a rock. Keep lookin :thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamus, here are pictures of an Adz. An Adz is different from a Celt in the Bit will have an up slope to it and the Bit on a Celt will meet in the middle.

Attachments

• Clark Farm (210).jpg
    Clark Farm (210).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Clark Farm (214).jpg
    Clark Farm (214).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Clark Farm (199).jpg
    Clark Farm (199).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Clark Farm (200).jpg
    Clark Farm (200).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 136
OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jamus, here are pictures of an Adz. An Adz is different from a Celt in the Bit will have an up slope to it and the Bit on a Celt will meet in the middle.

Hi Grim

Thanks for the link on the tinklers very cool! I have been learnig about Adze vrs Celts. I believe an Adze is worked from one end like a chisel as opposed to being worked to the middle like an axe or celt.

Here is the backside which I thought I posted. There is a hairline crack that leads to a chip on the front end and a grinding pattern or natural type pattern in which I was curious about.It also has a shallow groove. Of course it being my find thought maybe it was a grinding pattern. lol! What does it look like to you?. Also thanks in advance for you're opinion

20161024_154602 (1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "bit has chips or wear"? That rock has no bit and is nothing more than a creek rock. Not trying to beat you up but that's a rock. Keep lookin :thumbsup:

Doug I don't think I have seen a post from you beating anybody up, you are simply giving you're opinion and I appreciate it very much.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you see the workmanship in a celt you wiull have no doubt about what you have. Though I have seen some rough ones of flint. The material you have would never have been used either unless it was a large mortar and pestle. Keep looking are you finding any flint?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wrong kind of stone too....remember that different sorts of rock were used for different purposes.

Momof3

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Campbell ky
Detector(s) used
The trash finding kind!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain / struggle! I see that kind of rock/ stone here a lot! And although it may be shaped like something Native American it's not! Know why.. Because if you bang it on another rock its gonna break and that tells me it's not a very useful resource for someone to take all their time to make long ago! Hope this helps!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain / struggle! I see that kind of rock/ stone here a lot! And although it may be shaped like something Native American it's not! Know why.. Because if you bang it on another rock its gonna break and that tells me it's not a very useful resource for someone to take all their time to make long ago! Hope this helps!

very true I have done that to when learning the types of rocks they would of used. if its thin I put it between my fingers and if it breaks I know it wasnt used. I know most of the types of rocks now by self teaching. The only thing I dont use on those types of test is pottery. pottery I will drop it in the water and see how fast it sinks. pottery will sink slower than sandstone. I have a lot of sandstone look a likes here.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely understand wrong kind of rock. This was one item I was curious about and realized as well that they wouldn't use this rock for an adze.It seemed to have the shape though. Also looked ground down like other artifacts I have seen. The grinding leaves parallel marks and a real smooth surface. Mother nature could be the critter here.

You guys are right though there is plenty of hard blue schist as well as other material such as quartz in this creek. With this kind of help I promise I will contribute to the forum with artifacts not rocks hopefully soon. I have a quartz piece id like to show. Sorry guys and appreciate the look.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you see the workmanship in a celt you wiull have no doubt about what you have. Though I have seen some rough ones of flint. The material you have would never have been used either unless it was a large mortar and pestle. Keep looking are you finding any flint?

Hi Tn yes I find Red Franciscan heat treated flakes also some basalt. I also only hunt where I find mortars. Almost all sites here have mortars. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks momo. To be honest I feel no pain anymore I am being guided in the right direction and learning. It feels good. Thanks for looking.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for replying. On a ground stone item what man altered work are you looking for?

OK, jamus, this info should really help. Hardstone artifacts were fashioned in two steps. Pecking
into shape, and then grinding to a polish. If an artifact has been brought to 100% polish, the pecking marks may no longer be visible. But most times, some pecking is still going to be visible. In the first two photos, you see how an end pick was used to shape the artifact via pecking. In Photo 3 and 4, we see the head poll end of a broken full groove axe. See all the peck marks? That is what you should see most of the time. In photo 5 and 6, you see a double groove adze showing many pecking scars. Fully complete, but not brought to a polish. The last two photos show finished adzes with polish, but you can still see some of the pecking that was used to shape those tools. These are the things you look for....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 131
OP
OP
J

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, jamus, this info should really help. Hardstone artifacts were fashioned in two steps. Pecking
into shape, and then grinding to a polish. If an artifact has been brought to 100% polish, the pecking marks may no longer be visible. But most times, some pecking is still going to be visible. In the first two photos, you see how an end pick was used to shape the artifact via pecking. In Photo 3 and 4, we see the head poll end of a broken full groove axe. See all the peck marks? That is what you should see most of the time. In photo 5 and 6, you see a double groove adze showing many pecking scars. Fully complete, but not brought to a polish. The last two photos show finished adzes with polish, but you can still see some of the pecking that was used to shape those tools. These are the things you look for....

View attachment 1375110 View attachment 1375111 View attachment 1375112 View attachment 1375113

Thanks Charl I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread