Do you really think this is natural erosion? NO WAY!!!

OP
OP
O

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did Apologize I saw the errors of my ways I see where you guys are coming from about nature shaping things in many many ways at first I was discouraged but I'm not going to let it get me down I appreciate your opinions and your input worst case scenario I'll have a really cool hand-picked rock garden of rocks that I think are cool

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did Apologize I saw the errors of my ways I see where you guys are coming from about nature shaping things in many many ways at first I was discouraged but I'm not going to let it get me down I appreciate your opinions and your input worst case scenario I'll have a really cool hand-picked rock garden of rocks that I think are cool

It takes a person with integrity to admit error, and if it's artifacts you want to find, your making the right decision tapping into the experience of the folks here, who will only be too happy to help, as always. The internet can be a tough place to communicate sometime, as it isn't possible to hand rocks back and forth in person, and it can be tough to describe how rocks attain what might seem like puzzling or unnatural shapes at times. You've got the right attitude and desire to learn how to distinguish natural from man made, and we are all learning all the time, whether beginner or old hand. So welcome to the forum, and good luck!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of Debbie Downer ****ing rock snobs !!!!! **** you all, except for those of you who encouraged to keep the hunt up and carry on

Really, that is how you respond?? Very uncool for someone who just joined and obviously needs a lot of help knowing what true artifacts are.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
do you suppose that tree is 200+ years old? it would need to be to have any significance

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like limestone altered by several processes of erosion. The irregular shapes can be caused by both mechanical and chemical erosion.

Examples of Chemical Erosion:
1. Carbonation - When carbon dioxide is present and carried by water, carbonation weathering can occur. The carbon dioxide reacts with the water, which forms a weak acid and eats away at the affected rock.
2. Hydration - This type of weathering occurs when rocks absorb water, and the resulting hydrogen and hydrate ions form new bonds with minerals present within the rock. This type of chemical erosion can actually result in a change to a new form of rock, such as the process by which gypsum is formed.
3. Hydrolysis - This erosion takes place when minerals in the rock form a new solution, usually due to the presence of water. An example of this would be the formation of salt water when natural minerals in the rock form a salt solution once water is introduced.
4. Oxidation - Much like carbonation-which occurs in the presence of carbon dioxide-oxidation takes place when rocks react with the presence of oxygen. Oxidation also requires the presence of water, but this can even be in such small amounts as the presence of moisture in the air. Oxidation is more commonly known as rust.
I think tamrock hit the nail on the head. I also agree with limestone, and my bet would be Carbonation. Here is an example of the same type of chemical erosion in a really neat rock I found! 527511_290579274361109_1243345877_n.jpg This was found near the Mississippi river at the bottom of a limestone/sandstone bluff. Crazy looking, but completely natural.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey, your thread title introduces the idea that it was erosion

and btw I encourage you to keep hunting, the more you are in the woods the better for us all

Last edited by a moderator:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I think tamrock hit the nail on the head. I also agree with limestone, and my bet would be Carbonation. Here is an example of the same type of chemical erosion in a really neat rock I found! View attachment 1508872 This was found near the Mississippi river at the bottom of a limestone/sandstone bluff. Crazy looking, but completely natural.

that is a great piece you brought home! Very cool!

Oct 24, 2017
missouri/ill/ fla
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few similar around the Truman lake area all found below hilltop from burial sites I wonder if they may have been placed on or around the grave? I'm glad you posted these as I too wondered if natural or what. thanks

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t see an artifact or tool purpose in it, I believe it’s just a formation of nature. Interesting though.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really, that is how you respond?? Very uncool for someone who just joined and obviously needs a lot of help knowing what true artifacts are.

He said he was sorry for over reacting, lets let it go at that.

I personally see nothing man made in the images posted, nice formations nonetheless.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apology or not, his initial response was uncalled for. I don't know about you but I don't appreciate being called a "Debbie Downer effing rock snob" and then being told to "eff you all". He needs to move on. If he said that on the site I moderate on he would have been deleted immediately. JMO

Last edited:

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey i laughing my donkey off reading all this. Post your stuff in the Jesuit threads. You will find more answers. Keep the location to yourself. Your in an area where there is plenty of what you have found. You will learn by reading those threads. I will explain more to you in private. One day those others will learn this also. Well maybe not.you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nice find. Please don't move them. They are part of a puzzle.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing you need to do before picking up these stone is to photograph them with a compass. That is very important.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

rockerde

Jan 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been told i have a great imagination too. Everything i post seems to be natural. I cant belive how many rocks i have that look like snakes ,birds ,cravings and man made shapes. I have found them all in the same area. I believe my items are connected to the serpent mounds. It is truely hard to believe some of my items are just natural. I believe arrowheads are the only thing some of these people think are artifacts. I have been treated rude but im hanging in there becuz some people have took the time to explain and guide me. I am learning but i do believe some of my rocks are more then natural i moved to the rock and gem forum i hope they can give me more info on my rocks. If it becomes a joke im done with this site.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
take your items to your local Univ. museum and get an opinion from someone who can hold it in their hands. Then post those opinions here along with their names and credentials. That is a pretty easy thing to do and will go along way in verifying your position.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing about local universities and museums. They may not know about this type of stuff. There have been many geologist who would fail at recognized the stone work of the Jesuit or Templars. Sure there are those who know their work. Some of their work is hard to figure out. The work of the Priest has been hidden for hundreds of years. When the truth comes out. There will be an awakening. They will not look at the stones the same. Funny thing is there are stones sold all over the place that are their work. I see some that are polished and and made into jewelry. The work on them are being wipe off. The stones are beautiful by themselves. They hide little information on them. They belong on the site from which they come from. Well the information on them does. Either way education is the key to understanding what on the stones. Look closely at them the next time you find one. You might just surprise yourself.
God Blessing in your hunt.
Bob

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone who doesn't have a mentor starts with geofacts, it's the right learning trajectory. Despite the frustration you may feel, the people here will give you sound info. Always remember, the natives were masters of their crafts, if they wanted to make a stone piece that resembled a duck or an owl, it will look like a duck or an owl! Keep at it and things will start to click!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread