Skull Shaped Object with a round object fused to it.

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the skull?
I see a "wok" dat some one mite fwoe at a wabbit. :tongue3:

You were misled.

People who own publicly displayed fossils and or minerals for sale should not hire someone
who could not tell an odd rock specimen from a genuine fossil specimen. :dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cast fossil of a skull.

Hello,

I recently found an extremely suggestive rock that mirrors a skull with a round object fused to it's jaw. I took it to a geologist from University of Georgia, Dr. Garrison. He estimated that it was approximately 250 million years old. He also said that it was a cast of a creature that died in sediment. The sediment filled in the organic parts and created a cast.

I will attach some photos.
realskull2.png realskull1.png hostrock3.png hostrock1.png hostrock2.png

I am trying to identify the specimen. Any resources would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• skulll1.jpg
    skulll1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 109
  • skull5.jpg
    skull5.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 101
  • skull4.jpg
    skull4.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 100
  • skull3.jpg
    skull3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 98
  • skull8.jpg
    skull8.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 103
  • skull7.jpg
    skull7.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, Here is the direct link to a YouTube video of it:

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eye sockets are approximately 1 inch wide each and symmetrical. The skull is 3 inches tall and 4 inches front to back.

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cast Fossil of a skull.

Hello,

I recently found an extremely suggestive rock that mirrors a skull with a round object fused to it's jaw. I took it to a geologist from University of Georgia, Dr. Garrison. He estimated that it was approximately 250 million years old. He also said that it was a cast of a creature that died in sediment. The sediment filled in the organic parts and created a cast.

I will attach some photos.

skulll1.jpg skull5.jpg skull4.jpg skull3.jpg

I used these photos to show the ridge. This is an image of a Primate from the Tertiary era.

skull8.jpg skull7.jpg

I am trying to identify the specimen. Any resources would be great.

Thank you for your time.

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, Here is the direct link to a YouTube video of it:

The eye sockets are approximately 1 inch wide each and symmetrical. The skull is 3 inches tall and 4 inches front to back.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah, I'm not seeing it ( not to mention the odds of finding a primate)

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You posted this in another forum. It is a rock.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still not seeing it. Looks like a rock. Spamming us with it likely won't help.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/575759-skull-specimen.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fossils/576203-cast-fossil-skull.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fossils/575282-fossilized-skull.html

Try taking it to a paleontologist.

PS - if it was 250 million years old like the geologist said that is the Permian. The Tertiary begins 66 million years ago. But if you are insisting primate that would begin with the Tertiary Period.

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still a rock. We're gazing at clouds again. It's a rock shaped kind of like a primate head.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kinda like the "what does this cloud look like" game

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Molgreg, I pulled this pic off of Yahoo images. It's a mountain in Washington we used to drive past while visiting grandparents. We used to joke it was George Washington laying on his back. The right half of the mountain fits that description. But it's not the father of our country, is it? Just resembles him. Get it? aaaaaaaaaaaaamtsi.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not very likely as North America has never been a hot bed for primates - ever.

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really can't see a skull cast in that stone ... but, the possibility is remotely possible, I guess ?

If the stone is scoria, a volcanic rock similar to pumice, ... then we have to remember pompeii ... fossil casts up the wazoo from volcanic activity. So, the process is possible.

I looked up "Why don't we have primates in North America", and a couple things came up.
I guess we did have them, like 50 million years ago ... Florida and the Caribbean were mentioned.
They said that there was a warm period that occurred and that fossilized palm trees have been found in Alaska.
During a warm period such as that, if the primates had a short time to survive in Florida, then it might be possible that they reached up into Georgia.
New info for me.
IF a very experienced geologist examined this and saw things that we can't see in the pictures ... Well, I'm still very skeptical, but it is not ENTIRELY impossible that something like this could occur.

It would take a very close examination, coupled with a few more studies and opinions, but I don't think we can rule it out, entirely.

I don't know ... I'd love to hear exactly what the geologist saw, and what he based his opinion on.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....unless you found this in Africa, it's a bring back (someone brought it back from Africa to the states). It is what the prof said it is...it's a cast...but it's not from North America, or South America for that matter. Go Fish. Reasoning. Advanced primates with that morphology are not located in the eastern hemisphere (new world primates). It can only be an old world primate relative. Transplanted/Salted. I'll edit again. It's not a full cast of a skull, it's only a cast of a relatively small portion of the cranium, but to be totally on board with that, I'll need a photo of you with the Professor holding the rock and pointing to the fossil whilst wearing a tweed blazer with leather patches sewn onto the elbows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just added pictures of the host rock which has a mold impression of the cast.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was it by any chance that it wasn't until your eight visit with the Geologist that he said: "Yes, OK, it's a skull cast. Whatever."

All I'm seeing is a rock. The one image you called "teeth" is possibly a brachiopod imprint fossil.

small%2Bfossils%2B1.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread