Skull Shaped Object with a round object fused to it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cast comes out of a mold.

If it was a "cast" of the inside of a skull would look like the hollow voids inside the cranium - and nothing like the skull.

If it was a cast where a skull had been and then was removed (or eroded, dissolved, etc.) it may look like a skull - but the process would be difficult to understand - how was the rock around it formed to allow more sediment to come in later after the surrounding soil was mineralized and form a cast inside where the skull had been? Leaving no trace of the original bone. Teeth are especially durable. If there were teeth there - they would now be fossilized teeth. They don't evaporate. They are already hardened beyond "ossified" (enamel over calcified bone) and just further mineralize.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are saying that teeth can stand the test of time?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much.

This one is from a Megladon that's been extinct 3,000,000 years or more.

Megladon Tooth.jpg

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Million years is hardly a test of time.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a fossil of one of the oldest known mammals. 160,000,000 years +/-

Note the "rodent like" teeth.

83466.adapt.885.1.jpg

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking, you might get lucky and find the paper and scissors too...

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My imagination is currently broken, some fella with a 60 pound rock trying to convince folks it was bigfoots head broke it.

Congrats on your find, make sure you get all that in writing.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I recently found an extremely suggestive rock that mirrors a skull with a round object fused to it's jaw. I took it to a geologist from University of Georgia, Dr. Garrison. He estimated that it was approximately 250 million years old. He also said that it was a cast of a creature that died in sediment. The sediment filled in the organic parts and created a cast.

I contacted Dr. Garrison and sent him a link to this thread . . .

Hmmm. Can't recall that one but.Best.
EG

Apparently it was nothing too remarkable or memorable.

Johnbrian

Jun 15, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 3900/D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a POR= Plain Old Rock
A leverite= "Leave it right there Earl, it's just a POR."

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a rock. Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a professor told it was a fossil, it was only to get you to leave him alone. Nothing but a rock. A completely natural rock. Have you ever seen a fossilized skull?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The professor (Dr. Garrison) said "I have no recollection of having examined it" when I contacted him on April 25th.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The professor (Dr. Garrison) had no recollection of having examined it when I contacted him on April 25th and sent him a link to one of the four or five threads with this rock at that time:

Hmmm. Can't recall that one but. Best.
EG

OP
OP
M

molgreg

Apr 14, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skull shaped object.

Hello all,

I am posting this to see if I can get a proper identification of what this is. I took it to the University of Georgia and spoke to one of their geologists. He said that it looks to be a cast impression of a creature from a long time ago.

Here are images:

skulll1.jpg skull2.jpg skull3.jpg realskull1.png realskull2.png

When I found this rock, it was attached to another rock. The host rock has a mold impression of this skull shaped rock. Here are the photos:

hostrock1.png hostrock2.png

This may be totally irrelevant but I thought I should mention it. I went back to the area to look for more. I found two more rocks with a similar type of material. These aren't the exact same material but it was pretty close. Someone mentioned to me that these might be Jesuit stones. They appear to be man made and carved.

Here are those pictures:

block1.jpg block2.jpg block3.jpg block4.jpg elephant1.png elephant2.png elephant3.png elephant4.png

Like I said, the last section might be irrelevant. I just wanted to include it in the story because I found them very close to the skull shaped object.

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread