sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it. You posted some nice stuff in post no.28, so you obviously know a worked piece, so why are you posting items that show no alteration by man? I know that you said that you post only questionable items, but there's really no question about them. I, and I'm sure others, would love to see close-ups of some of the points you've found. We're glad to help educate here, but my goodness, man!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where would one go to get an honest evaluation/ authentication and value. Then who do I sell to? I have only sold one artifact and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

You can buy just one book now, look for used book stores, I have seen good artifact books there if you don't want to buy new and you save a lot of money. I would start out looking for books of artifacts in mid-west.

Lar Hothem, has some good books on Midwest artifacts and you can buy them used too from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Indian-Artif...rd_wg=rHY1J&psc=1&refRID=Y5ERRD3ZKQK74TG2YS31

Look for a used copy of Overstreet's Identification and Price Guide, you can also buy it used from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Ove...rd_wg=NY8nJ&psc=1&refRID=Q97VRY469HKHQV38D65D

You can also check books out from the library too.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
So where would one go to get an honest evaluation/ authentication and value. Then who do I sell to? I have only sold one artifact and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sell to whoever you want to. Anyone interested would be giving you an honest opinion. If it were one of your finds it wouldn’t need it authenticated and you probly should set the value.

Sounds like you didn’t make a very good deal on the first sale.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell to whoever you want to. Anyone interested would be giving you an honest opinion. If it were one of your finds it wouldn’t need it authenticated and you probly should set the value.

Don’t make me start on you

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other

Not exactly I sold a point for 250 I think it was to a dealer. Was later told in this forum was pry worth closer to 800-900. So no.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
And what am I supposed to base a value off of? I am not familiar with the markets nor do I know where to find a reference to even know where to start

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has gotten a bit convoluted and off-track. It started with a thigh stone, hurt feelings when folks try to help, then books. No artifact book that I know of is going to be of any help in telling why naturally formed rocks are not artifacts. Now, we're talking about selling artifacts, or are we talking about selling the thigh stone?

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread has gotten a bit convoluted and off-track. It started with a thigh stone, hurt feelings when folks try to help, then books. No artifact book that I know of is going to be of any help in telling why naturally formed rocks are not artifacts. Now, we're talking about selling artifacts, or are we talking about selling the thigh stone?

Not the thigh stone. I have artifacts that hold no questions as to thier validity. Only value

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter suggested Overstreet’s Identification and Price guide as a starting point.

I went to an artifact show in Elizabethtown, Kentucky recently just to drool and learn, not to buy or sell. There were plenty of pieces for sale. You could go to a show, look at comparable pieces and what they’re being offered for, knowing that you could probably get them for a little less than asking price and use that as a starting point, or check on eBay. Look at comparable pieces there, find the recently sold, and see what stuff’s going for. Just some ideas.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure Hunter suggested Overstreet’s Identification and Price guide as a starting point.

I went to an artifact show in Elizabethtown, Kentucky recently just to drool and learn, not to buy or sell. There were plenty of pieces for sale. You could go to a show, look at comparable pieces and what they’re being offered for, knowing that you could probably get them for a little less than asking price and use that as a starting point, or check on eBay. Look at comparable pieces there, find the recently sold, and see what stuff’s going for. Just some ideas.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

I find eBay to be so inconsistent that it is hardly credible. As far as the shows I only wish there was something in my area that was at a time that I would be able to attend.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find eBay to be so inconsistent that it is hardly credible. As far as the shows I only wish there was something in my area that was at a time that I would be able to attend.

Then Treasure Hunter wins!! Overstreet it is!

Mark this as solved and post some close ups of your killer finds in another post.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the thigh stone. I have artifacts that hold no questions as to thier validity. Only value

Value is what buyers are willing to pay, it can vary greatly from area to area. I have been to artifact auctions where bidders paid 3 times what an artifact was estimated to be worth on some and a third of what people thought others were worth.

Overstreet is an excellent reference guide for both identification and value, but it is just one of many worth whilebooks.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Value is what buyers are willing to pay, it can vary greatly from area to area. I have been to artifact auctions where bidders paid 3 times what a poin was estimated to be worth on some and a third of what people thought others were worth.

Overstreet is an excellent reference guide for both identification and value, but it is just one of many worth whilebooks.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I understand that. My point is that another thread entitled "Advice needed on appraising and selling artifacts" might garner you more responses than one that leads off with the thigh stone whatzit.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand that. My point is that another thread entitled "Advice needed on appraising and selling artifacts" might garner you more responses than one that leads off with the thigh stone whatzit.

I agree sandchip. Trust me when I started this thread this isn't what I intended lol.

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Here you go. I know I could find it somewhere its called a stone hoe known as a tchamahia, tshamahia, even chamahia and finally, tsamahia all different spellings of the same thing. Yours happens to be rare in two pointed form.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread