I call it the “Palasso”.

Flip N. Rocks

Jun 17, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this under the wrong topic. I hope you all find this interesting. I found this piece in Missouri in an area where I have found many points and artifacts. I believe it’s made of Burlington chert. What appears to be a jaw has been worked. The eye brow and nose appears to have been worked. It’s roughly 8” x 5” x 2.5” thick. 8F50D8FD-DEC9-4007-9C64-62F21A0E8A33.jpeg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will take your word for the material, you live there. Can't tell from the pics. My inexpert eye sees a natural busted up rock, that does indeed resemble a face. A nice curiosity, but natural.

OP
OP
F

Flip N. Rocks

Jun 17, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jaw has been knapped. Whether to highlight the jaw or maybe used to quarry small pcs of chert for bird points. The back side shows scares of shock waves from knapping as well as some fluting. Anyway, thanks for the looks. I pick this piece up more than any in my collection. It fascinates me.

OP
OP
F

Flip N. Rocks

Jun 17, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one digger. Seriously though, why is it so hard to believe a rock would be made into an image? Have you ever seen the movie castaway? Spaulding? I think I’d carve out an image to keep me company if I was alone for long periods of time. Oh wait, I won’t need to I own palasso man

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good one digger. Seriously though, why is it so hard to believe a rock would be made into an image? Have you ever seen the movie castaway? Spaulding? I think I’d carve out an image to keep me company if I was alone for long periods of time. Oh wait, I won’t need to I own palasso man

It's "WILSON!"

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry but all y'all are hilarious!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It's not at all unusual. But a couple of things need to be kept in mind. Native artisans were just as accomplished as any other people working stone into images, they created wonderful works of art, as well as any prehistoric culture anywhere.

And the second thing that factors in here is that this forum sees many natural or accidental images in stone. And members with years or decades of experience are simply confident when they see such things. We respect you, and understand you have the right to your beliefs, but few here will agree with you that your image is a deliberate effigy in stone. When you asked "what's so funny?", well I can't answer for the poster who laughed, but I can speculate it may have been a reflection of the attitude "here we go again", because we have seen so many natural or accidental "effigies" over the years. Most will judge you mistaken, but of course you have the right to disagree.

Here is an effigy in stone I own, that was just published in a book documenting native effigies in stone. It simply demonstrates that natives were skilled artisans. Nature, on the other hand, seldom does a job that would be indisputably judged to be crafted by the hands of a skilled artisan.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/402205-effigy-revisted.html

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this under the wrong topic. I hope you all find this interesting. I found this piece in Missouri in an area where I have found many points and artifacts. I believe it’s made of Burlington chert. What appears to be a jaw has been worked. The eye brow and nose appears to have been worked. It’s roughly 8” x 5” x 2.5” thick. View attachment 1602911

and the rest of us will call it...a rock.

OP
OP
F

Flip N. Rocks

Jun 17, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice read charl. Thanks. I heard the native Americans believed spirits lived within the rocks. Spirits were reincarnated to all natural things. The more natural the image or effigy the higher regard it had with the people. The less craft applied to a stone the better. They were superstitious people. I believe your effigy stone was held and rubbed for superstitious reasons. I believe my effigy stone was placed like a totem for similar superstitious reasons. I have no worries about lol’s and doubters. It’s not the first time nor probably the last regarding this subject. I just can’t fathom this rock was not enhanced for the people at that time. I bet this rock had many stories told over it. I like to think of it as Indian T V. Ha!

Take another gander, look at the eye mark just below the brow. Look at how the facial features are raised above the facial plane. There’s no way this rock just happen to break like this. IMO of coarse...

F744B95D-989D-41AB-85D2-7B88982A665E.jpeg

32652C6E-F5AD-41E0-8F01-9D59FD1B743D.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread