Axe and wood handle

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago I posted artifacts that I found on my land and it generated a lot of controversy. I’m still finding stone tools and fossils that are not supposed to be found in my state, like petrified coconuts that were about four feet deep with cut markings, more stone tools and two partial mosasaurus jaws. I have roughly 4,000 photos now. Here are two examples, the wooden handle has started a process called coalification and there is cordage under the oxide layer on the axe head. The metallic colored point is not flint. I don’t know what the mineral makeup is. I’ve never saw anything like it before
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531381560.519705.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531381657.079416.jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What makes you think that is an axe handle? From the pics it looks like a piece of stick wood. Better pics of the axe would be nice. A front on one showing the bit end? From what I see so far it looks like an axe shaped rock. Natural.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have posted this "axe" and "handle" before. It remains a rock and a stick.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol natural? That’s an axe, I found them together. Head at the notched end

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an Axe. Not even close to being an Axe.

I guess since you you are so much smarter than us and none of us know what we are doing or talking about it would be best if you found a site where you could all oooh and aaah over your rocks.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just accept that you know what you know. I don’t know who you are but I’m sure you are not the one who is going to rewrite history.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The item in the second pic is an artifact no doubt about that but the axe I also say natural as I stated before ...... have you ever seen any other axes made from stone with that shape ? Nope but I also find natural rocks with that same shape in the rivers all the time ..... and they stay in the river

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking at the coconuts they don't seem petrified. Are they stone? Also no one needs to threaten anyone. This site is for fun & education.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although the "axe" appears to be just a rock, I can see why the shape could be mistaken for a "Chipped Axe", a type found at least in New England. Illustration from the earliest edition of our New England artifact guide....

IMG_0950.JPG

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the coconuts they don't seem petrified. Are they stone? Also no one needs to threaten anyone. This site is for fun & education.

Not petrified. A little wary maybe. Perhaps even afraid, but definitely not petrified. :laughing7:

I'm trying to lighten the mood. I'd still like some pics of the inside of the coconuts if possible.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
show us how the axe and handle fit together and tell us how it would have been lashed. also give us close ups of the worked areas on the axe, especially any groves you see. the handle also, show us the wear patterns on the wood. remember a stone axe needs to be sturdy and heavy to pound in a way that modern hatchets do using a much sharper edge.

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In which state were these coconuts found? They are fascinating. If they aren't petrified, they are a very good stone reproduction of a coconut.
As far as the wooden "axe handle", context would help tremendously. Wood disentegrates very quickly unless exposed to certain preservative elements or soils. Protected arid climates can also preserve wood for thousands of years.
It would also help to know about the types and proliferation of rocks in your area.
If you re-read your initial post, your presentation of your artifacts doesn't offer much in the way of contextual information. Some of the people on this site have a great deal knowledge, others are here to learn, while still others sometimes seem to be jealous trolls who deny that everything is authentic. My advice is to use a little common sense when posting, especially when things are not immediately and obviously apparent. We don't know where you are or anything about your site or area, and have no idea about the local prehistory. Addressing those issues would help greatly when asking for advice or just sharing your finds.
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times: Context is everything.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not attack people if they do not agree with you. Consider this a polite last warning.

OP
OP
W

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand context is everything. I’m not searching creek beds or trying to pass off river cobbles. This is all found buried in this fossiliferous marine deposit that is not supposed to exist in my state. I have two Mosasaurus jaw bones, one was found with the coconuts. The jaw bones has been identified by four experts. Cretaceous fossils are not supposed to exist in Ohio, but I have an awful lot and everything here is found in a small 3 acre area.
These were found together a few inches apart. Both rocks at the notched end.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531534424.044634.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531534435.927707.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531534903.836875.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread