Toad or frog effigy with Thunderbird

Ckgene

Apr 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this was just toad or frog Effigy but taking a second look there is a bird that's been etched on it as well. I might be making the Long Reach by labeling it as a Thunderbird, but interested in some opinions other than it's just a rock. I've had enough people on here tell me they're just rocks if they're not a triangle and an obvious Arrowhead.

20180806_152920.jpg

orca-image--2076491911.jpeg_1533512299750.jpeg

Attachments

• 20180805_171911.jpg
    20180805_171911.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 89

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it is natural rock with erosion.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's insulting to Native Americans to post rocks like the above thinking this is somehow Native American art. Look at this pipe. When an Indian made a bird from a rock, it looked like a bird, not a blob. Look at the beak. Obviously a finch. Not just a generic bird, but you can tell the species. They were far better craftsman than many posters of junk rocks give them credit for. Gary

f2735615fb413e7cde1d22b1c108ab26.jpg

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's insulting to Native Americans to post rocks like the above thinking this is somehow Native American art. Look at this pipe. When an Indian made a bird from a rock, it looked like a bird, not a blob. Look at the beak. Obviously a finch. Not just a generic bird, but you can tell the species. They were far better craftsman than many posters of junk rocks give them credit for. Gary

View attachment 1619917

Seems like a daily occurrence lately. I don't understand it myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bird pipe, found in Mid Missouri, looks like a bird, no imagination required.

Bird Pipe Mid Missouri Right Side View (1).jpg Bird Pipe Mid Missouri Left Side View2 (1).jpg

Another Missouri artifact. Clay mourning flute.
Mourning Flute Artifact3  St Louis Area.jpg Mourning Flute Artifact Il.jpg Mourning Flute Artifact2  Il 2.jpg

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with everyone who calls it a natural rock but you have already decided to not accept that as an answer so disregard my post.

OP
OP
C

Ckgene

Apr 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That definitely is a museum grade peace, maybe even a notch higher if that's possible. I reread my thread and in no way did I put anyone in a degrading position. Natural rock shaped into an animal would have had spiritual value to the Native Americans. Even more so if the rock was shaped by Nature. You suggesting that Native Americans were Petty is what they would have been insulted by. I'll see a shape of a bird regardless of how it got there and I think that's cool. Somehow that's offensive to all of you. I hope you all can maybe get out and mingle with other people in society because there's lots of hate with numbers in this site that I truly don't understand. Me accepting it's natural rock is probably not going to satisfy the urge for you to ridicule.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That definitely is a museum grade peace, maybe even a notch higher if that's possible. I reread my thread and in no way did I put anyone in a degrading position. Natural rock shaped into an animal would have had spiritual value to the Native Americans. Even more so if the rock was shaped by Nature. You suggesting that Native Americans were Petty is what they would have been insulted by. I'll see a shape of a bird regardless of how it got there and I think that's cool. Somehow that's offensive to all of you. I hope you all can maybe get out and mingle with other people in society because there's lots of hate with numbers in this site that I truly don't understand. Me accepting it's natural rock is probably not going to satisfy the urge for you to ridicule.

So tell me CK, when you got an F on your ( insert your topic here ) exam because you refused to learn or thought you already knew everything, was that because your teacher hated you? When your dentist tells you you're going to lose all of your teeth, if you don't start brushing, is it his hatred that makes him say that? When your co-workers finally tell you to take a shower, is that because they hate you? When your Sergeant tells you to get your f'n head down, he hates you, right? Natural selection does not favor your attitude.

This comment is aimed not only at you, but to all those who call us haters for speaking the truth. Whatever.

OP
OP
C

Ckgene

Apr 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've accepted that it's natural rock. I got defensive over being accused of insulting the Native Americans by my post. It's a natural rock, I can accept that. I am however asking your experience and your expertise as to why I keep finding other natural rocks in the same area that has the Thunderbird or whatever kind of bird image , on a bunch of other natural rocks. I will admit if it was just this one rock that would be silly but how many times does something repeat itself before you question the possibility that because it repeats maybe it's not just by accident. I will post a few pictures and highlight the areas where they are. Really what I like an answer to is why these natural rocks have a similar bird symbol on them. Maybe it's a byproduct of natural erosion the one I keep seeing the same thing repeating itself makes a fellow Wonder. I will post a few here shortly and I can also post many, I'm just wondering why this image keeps making an appearance. If I'm just imagining it then no one else should be seeing it and I've been able to show a few people you can also see it. That doesn't mean I have an explanation for it or think that's evidence for it being an artifact. It repeats enough it has caught my interest, and I believe this forum is appropriate. In fact I think I'll just create a new post

Michelle S

Greenie
Sep 4, 2018
ROME, Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEWSFLASH not all humans are or have ever been amazing at the same thing but we all color at some point and make pottery or whatever and unfortunately only a small amount are blessed with amazing artistry talents. So imagine no coloring books no t.v. no phones or laptops no written language no books to read children or barbies or cars to play with or ways to entertain or express yourself and no photographs to remember or admire loved ones. They had rocks to work or cave walls or fossils or the lucky might find some petrified wood. They had a different outlook so their pictures of things look strange to us but it doesn't make it just a rock bc it doesn't look like museum art. It is still one Native American's piece of art work or a story to tell or a toy for a child of a bird or horse or bunny or a goofy smiley face. I have all sorts of different quality of rock art but I don't look for the finest etched ones made of quality material like most bc those were only the talented ones and the finer ones were only later and mostly wealthy not the majority of their population or the early ages. My ugliest and most worn arrowheads and tools happen to be the most valuable because of their age. I know it shocked me too. But it just goes to show you that beauty and perfection are amazing to find but all the in between are wonderful in their own respect and some are worth an unbelievable amount bc they are ugly and strange and look natural. The less talented would find rocks that were naturally somewhat shaped like a profile of man or animal and would make an eye or mouth on it and that would be it and some would put several images from several angles and it would tell a story or record events of their lives. Few were the local flint workers so the rest just did it when they weren't busy surviving. I wish people would stop being so closed minded then they would see the amazing things they have left us on these "rocks". Not all Natives were great artists with two rocks just as we are not all Picasso's with a paint brush and canvas. You would be surprised at the collectors that are now purchasing rock art and there are people finding natural rocks that are profiled completely natural and unworked and sell them as art and nature the artist. Different strokes for different folks... If you don't want to see it bc you prefer perfection then just don't comment on someone's find because I see many people giving false identifications and being rude thinking they are right and look foolish because out of the last four I saw were being told "just rocks" three were rock art. I couldn't tell you much about types of rocks bc I am still learning but I have 20 yrs in the Native Americans artifacts weapons tools and, yes, artwork. I have an assorted collection and an insanely amount of research on the subject so although not a titled expert I do know a little about what I am talking about. I will be posting my collection soon so I hope some read this before commenting on mine. Note to the poster: a few more angles in different lighting help give the viewer more perspective but great find! And I do believe you have a piece there but more angles needed to say more than that. Effigy I see thunderbird I can't say but still nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Ckgene

Apr 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MichelleS, is super refreshing to read a comment from someone who sees more that triangles and flaking. I tried explaining regardless of how the rock got it's shape, if it resembled an animal or person, they would have considered it art, or would hold some spiritual meaning. Maybe i was defensive on how i posted it. Thanks for your well worded comment

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEWSFLASH not all humans are or have ever been amazing at the same thing but we all color at some point and make pottery or whatever and unfortunately only a small amount are blessed with amazing artistry talents. So imagine no coloring books no t.v. no phones or laptops no written language no books to read children or barbies or cars to play with or ways to entertain or express yourself and no photographs to remember or admire loved ones. They had rocks to work or cave walls or fossils or the lucky might find some petrified wood. They had a different outlook so their pictures of things look strange to us but it doesn't make it just a rock bc it doesn't look like museum art. It is still one Native American's piece of art work or a story to tell or a toy for a child of a bird or horse or bunny or a goofy smiley face. I have all sorts of different quality of rock art but I don't look for the finest etched ones made of quality material like most bc those were only the talented ones and the finer ones were only later and mostly wealthy not the majority of their population or the early ages. My ugliest and most worn arrowheads and tools happen to be the most valuable because of their age. I know it shocked me too. But it just goes to show you that beauty and perfection are amazing to find but all the in between are wonderful in their own respect and some are worth an unbelievable amount bc they are ugly and strange and look natural. The less talented would find rocks that were naturally somewhat shaped like a profile of man or animal and would make an eye or mouth on it and that would be it and some would put several images from several angles and it would tell a story or record events of their lives. Few were the local flint workers so the rest just did it when they weren't busy surviving. I wish people would stop being so closed minded then they would see the amazing things they have left us on these "rocks". Not all Natives were great artists with two rocks just as we are not all Picasso's with a paint brush and canvas. You would be surprised at the collectors that are now purchasing rock art and there are people finding natural rocks that are profiled completely natural and unworked and sell them as art and nature the artist. Different strokes for different folks... If you don't want to see it bc you prefer perfection then just don't comment on someone's find because I see many people giving false identifications and being rude thinking they are right and look foolish because out of the last four I saw were being told "just rocks" three were rock art. I couldn't tell you much about types of rocks bc I am still learning but I have 20 yrs in the Native Americans artifacts weapons tools and, yes, artwork. I have an assorted collection and an insanely amount of research on the subject so although not a titled expert I do know a little about what I am talking about. I will be posting my collection soon so I hope some read this before commenting on mine. Note to the poster: a few more angles in different lighting help give the viewer more perspective but great find! And I do believe you have a piece there but more angles needed to say more than that. Effigy I see thunderbird I can't say but still nice.

It's just a rock.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread