Stone Effigy Collection - Tell Me I'm Not Losing My Mind

hellokelly

Feb 13, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, this is my first post. I've attached some photos of some carved animal/human figures that I've found in Stillwater and around Elk River, Minnesota.

These are just a few of the more "obvious" pieces, so I'm pretty sure I'm not losing my mind and seeing things that aren't there (friends and family think I'm nuts). I plan on posting more photos of some of the more abstract/not so literal figures and am interested in seeing what people think about them. Or feel free to tell me I'm delusional.

Also, for this post and any related future posts...any information anyone may have about specific pieces like who may have made them, how old they are, how/why they were used, or any other information would be cool to know!

20190205_103631.jpg

20190205_030001.jpg

20190207_203327.jpg

20190212_165718.jpg

20190213_030351.jpg

20190213_030419.jpg

20190213_030548.jpg

20190213_030641.jpg

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but all natural , I can see why you would keep the 1st item it does look like an animal but it too I believe is natural the rest of them I don’t see anything at all. If you look up effigys found around Ohio you can see how different they are they have a nice finish to them too. I’m sure a few folks here will tell you that yes they are but they are just geofacts.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it helps I don’t think your nuts, but always consider the source. There are undeniable pieces of rock art but few and far between. You will not get a positive reaction on any artifact sites so don’t waste your time. Looking too deep into this subject seems to have a negative effect on many so be careful, it’s probably best to find a new hobby.

OP
OP
H

hellokelly

Feb 13, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the photos are sideways at the moment and I'm not sure why...

I've done an obsessive amount of research and the first image is consistent with a short-faced bear, and the third image is consistent with rabbit figures, including the position it's in. I appreciate the comments and maybe I've finally lost my marbles at the tender age of 31.

I'm going to hop on a computer shortly and reupload these photos to see if that magically fixes them being rotated when I post...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry they are all natural rocks. If you have to use your imagination to see the effigy then odds are very high it isnt an artifact.

OP
OP
H

hellokelly

Feb 13, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lost me. I don't mean this in a defensive or rude way at all, but by find a new hobby, are you referring to the actual posting in a forum element? Or just the whole thing in general?

I'm not going to be upset over anything said in a forum or have it negatively affect me. I was surprised to see someone zoom straight to "it's probably best to find a new hobby" though. That's pretty intense!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good rule to follow. Thank you!

Your welcome and also welcome to TreasureNet!!!!

From time to time we get threads and posts of what some people call rock art which is 99.9% of the time nothing more than natural rock and someone's imagination, just like seeing shapes in the clouds.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I can see why you would suspect the first rock. With the exception of the greenish one, these are generally not the materials the natives would use to carve an effigy. Yours are quartz and it is extremely hard. The would choose pipestone, slate, etc., items much softer and easier to work. They would use quartz to work them, not the other way around. Only corundum and diamond are harder than quartz, and they didn't have those to work with. Quartz was chipped, but other quartz was used to do it.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m on your side, sorry for the confusion. I am serious though, it does have a seen to have a bad effect on the psyche of many, so be careful is all. You will start to see things that aren’t there, and not everyone can handle it. As I said, it may be best to leave it alone.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Here are a couple actual effigies found by a friend of mine. The first pic shows a horse, the second shows the head of a turtle. The black piece bottom right. As you can see there is really nothing left to the imagination. Those guys could make things look like they are supposed to look.

119155E8-2611-476F-BF5E-9CF3DE1CD226.jpeg 83628FC4-58B5-4E8A-A631-AAC5DF5D8948.jpeg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m on your side, sorry for the confusion. I am serious though, it does have a seen to have a bad effect on the psyche of many, so be careful is all. You will start to see things that aren’t there, and not everyone can handle it. As I said, it may be best to leave it alone.

Has nothing to do with "not everyone can handle it", this is North American Indian Artifact forum, simple rocks do not belong here,, we do have geofact, rock and mineral forums for them.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your photos are posting sideways because you are taking the photos in portrait mode. Take the photos in landscape mode, and they will display right side up....

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started hunting for artifacts I would hunt a certain creek that I thought was loaded with Tomahawks I dubbed it "Tomahawk Creek" there were Tomahawks as big as boulders and as small as a penny I couldn't get over it deer bones were possible human bones and my mind was running wild. Now when I go to that creek I wonder what the heck I was looking at because those Tomahawks aren't there no more.

OP
OP
H

hellokelly

Feb 13, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your photos are posting sideways because you are taking the photos in portrait mode. Take the photos in landscape mode, and they will display right side up....

Was not aware I was limited to landscape ratio in this forum...

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several, but you take them away from their resting place and they become rocks. Cool though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread