Stone Effigy Collection - Tell Me Im Not Losing My Mind
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Stone Effigy Collection - Tell Me Im Not Losing My Mind

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    16 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Stone Effigy Collection - Tell Me I'm Not Losing My Mind

Hi, this is my first post. I've attached some photos of some carved animal/human figures that I've found in Stillwater and around Elk River, Minnesota.

These are just a few of the more "obvious" pieces, so I'm pretty sure I'm not losing my mind and seeing things that aren't there (friends and family think I'm nuts). I plan on posting more photos of some of the more abstract/not so literal figures and am interested in seeing what people think about them. Or feel free to tell me I'm delusional.

Also, for this post and any related future posts...any information anyone may have about specific pieces like who may have made them, how old they are, how/why they were used, or any other information would be cool to know!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190205_103631.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	1680579

Name:	20190205_030001.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	1680582

Name:	20190207_203327.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	1680583

Name:	20190212_165718.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	1680584

Name:	20190213_030351.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	1680585

Name:	20190213_030419.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	1680586

Name:	20190213_030548.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	1680587

Name:	20190213_030641.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	1680588
    Last edited by hellokelly; Feb 14, 2019 at 07:13 AM.

us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7976 times
    The Truth
    Look natural to me.

us
    May 2014
    Eastern Shore Maryland
    4055 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sorry but all natural , I can see why you would keep the 1st item it does look like an animal but it too I believe is natural the rest of them I donít see anything at all. If you look up effigys found around Ohio you can see how different they are they have a nice finish to them too. Iím sure a few folks here will tell you that yes they are but they are just geofacts.
    I would rather see an authentic broken scraper posted than a G-10 Artifake!

Jun 2018
    293 times
    If it helps I don’t think your nuts, but always consider the source. There are undeniable pieces of rock art but few and far between. You will not get a positive reaction on any artifact sites so don’t waste your time. Looking too deep into this subject seems to have a negative effect on many so be careful, it’s probably best to find a new hobby.

us
    Feb 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    16 times
    All of the photos are sideways at the moment and I'm not sure why...

I've done an obsessive amount of research and the first image is consistent with a short-faced bear, and the third image is consistent with rabbit figures, including the position it's in. I appreciate the comments and maybe I've finally lost my marbles at the tender age of 31.

I'm going to hop on a computer shortly and reupload these photos to see if that magically fixes them being rotated when I post...

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    33438 times
    Sorry they are all natural rocks. If you have to use your imagination to see the effigy then odds are very high it isnt an artifact.
    monsterrack likes this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

I excercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

us
    Feb 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    16 times
    You lost me. I don't mean this in a defensive or rude way at all, but by find a new hobby, are you referring to the actual posting in a forum element? Or just the whole thing in general?

I'm not going to be upset over anything said in a forum or have it negatively affect me. I was surprised to see someone zoom straight to "it's probably best to find a new hobby" though. That's pretty intense!

us
    Feb 2019
    Minneapolis, MN
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    If you have to use your imagination to see the effigy then odds are very high it isnt an artifact.
    Good rule to follow. Thank you!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    33438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokelly View Post
    Good rule to follow. Thank you!
    Your welcome and also welcome to TreasureNet!!!!

From time to time we get threads and posts of what some people call rock art which is 99.9% of the time nothing more than natural rock and someone's imagination, just like seeing shapes in the clouds.
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Feb 13, 2019 at 06:32 PM.

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    31938 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome. I can see why you would suspect the first rock. With the exception of the greenish one, these are generally not the materials the natives would use to carve an effigy. Yours are quartz and it is extremely hard. The would choose pipestone, slate, etc., items much softer and easier to work. They would use quartz to work them, not the other way around. Only corundum and diamond are harder than quartz, and they didn't have those to work with. Quartz was chipped, but other quartz was used to do it.

Jun 2018
    293 times
    I’m on your side, sorry for the confusion. I am serious though, it does have a seen to have a bad effect on the psyche of many, so be careful is all. You will start to see things that aren’t there, and not everyone can handle it. As I said, it may be best to leave it alone.

us
    the boss

Mar 2008
    south dakota
    good eyes
    4424 times
    Here are a couple actual effigies found by a friend of mine. The first pic shows a horse, the second shows the head of a turtle. The black piece bottom right. As you can see there is really nothing left to the imagination. Those guys could make things look like they are supposed to look.

Name:	119155E8-2611-476F-BF5E-9CF3DE1CD226.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	1680646 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83628FC4-58B5-4E8A-A631-AAC5DF5D8948.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	1680648
    lairmo, hellokelly and newnan man like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    33438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred250 View Post
    I’m on your side, sorry for the confusion. I am serious though, it does have a seen to have a bad effect on the psyche of many, so be careful is all. You will start to see things that aren’t there, and not everyone can handle it. As I said, it may be best to leave it alone.
    Has nothing to do with "not everyone can handle it", this is North American Indian Artifact forum, simple rocks do not belong here,, we do have geofact, rock and mineral forums for them.
    Charl, lairmo and Mine Shaft like this.

2nd Amendment

USAF 1967-1971

No Expiration Date!

us
    Jan 2012
    Rhode Island
    3855 times
    Relic Hunting
    Your photos are posting sideways because you are taking the photos in portrait mode. Take the photos in landscape mode, and they will display right side up....

May 2014
    331 times
    When I first started hunting for artifacts I would hunt a certain creek that I thought was loaded with Tomahawks I dubbed it "Tomahawk Creek" there were Tomahawks as big as boulders and as small as a penny I couldn't get over it deer bones were possible human bones and my mind was running wild. Now when I go to that creek I wonder what the heck I was looking at because those Tomahawks aren't there no more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links