sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the bear, even if it is natural and not manmade. I would've brought it home to display with my Squidward and bedpan effigies.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have found several, but you take them away from their resting place and they become rocks. Cool though.

Interesting, never heard that one before.

Sounds like insitu pics are in order.

Then you guys can have before and after the transformation pics.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try resizing your pictures before you post them. I usually resize mine to 1200 - 1300 pixels for the largest dimension. The smaller one automatically adjusts if you have the right photo editing software. I use paint on my PC to do it.

Attachments

• 20151225_154507a.jpg
    20151225_154507a.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 85

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My suggestion as a former archaeologist specializing in prehistoric Indians, is to visit a local museum that has artifacts available. Perhaps a historical park that has Native American interpreters, your department of historic resources, etc. would be ideal so you can see what typical lithic artifacts look like. Once you see them and hold them, you'll much more easily identify them in the wild. Effigy lithic artifacts in North America will be super rare finds, as most lithic items are utilitarian in nature. Rocks they have converted to hammer stones, celts, etc. It would have to be a softer soapstone type material to find carved rocks for the most part.

Minus points, 99.9% of the rocks you pick up will be just that, rocks. We called them 'sex stones' because they were just another f#$@*ng rock! Check out stream beds and recently plowed fields, especially after a rain. If the fields are on a bluff above a river/water source, even better. Good luck, and don't let the forum or items not being an artifact frustrate you.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to Geofact Forum...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting