odd relics

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It pains me to have to ask this because I have made fun of people over this very subject and this may be my karma for it ... but here goes …. I have found a site ( on my own property no less ) that almost every thing I pick up has some form of bird depiction on it … with a lot of it being very small and almost purposely hidden to a passing look … then others are big and bold in your face birds and owls. I'm talking carved , painted , engraved , big , small , magnifying glass small … its nuts .
I feel like I should be in a unibomber shack throwing feces at critters that get too close … but of course I have a camera or I wouldn't dare make such crazy sounding statements . I even thought I found a Dalton point made of lime stone … brushed it off a bit and it was a bird in flight - wing in downstroke … I coulda cried - here I'll post a pic of it IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1379.JPG

this one is a dove like bird but has multiple little birds carved in it IMG_1375.JPG

some are pretty small but well carved for the size IMG_1105.JPG

and I mean a lot of them ... IMG_1364.JPG

I hereby publicly apologize to anyone I ever made fun of for seeing stuff in rocks .... some of these are just too obvious for me to attempt any form of denial anymore and yes if you want to see any particular kind I have mentioned just ask and I'll shoot and post …. I am currently overwhelmed with all the cleaning and inspecting I have to do but I will pick out and quick clean any requested types as best I can.

Sorry if this comes off as crazy but cant find much about them that I would take as any kind of fact or who made them … so if anyone has any knowledge or experience with these I would love to hear it … and if you find this subject a little too taboo or embarrassing to post here feel free to message me privately and it will be our little secret … :coffee2:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of them are natural rocks just your imagination ... especially if you have in your mind a specific shape you will see things that aren’t artifacts just natural formed rocks
Btw- is that a laundry tub filled ?? That’s a lot of rocks [emoji15]

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little more detail to the crazy site aforementioned …. I also found rock stacks that have been hand stacked as some kind of markers … I don't think they are grave sights as they are mostly on steep hills and some are right on top rocky outcroppings that would be easy to bury someone in … this one is typical of the ones I've found around the area . All of the above collected relics are surface finds after a mudslide happened on one of the hills all of them are out of context . I need to do a controlled dig to see what context they may be in … I'm a little Leary that it may be a burial ground marked by the rock stacks … pic for reference IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0696.JPG and that these relics might be grave goods as most don't seem to have much use as tools or weapons … thoughts … suggestions ...

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of them are natural rocks just your imagination ... especially if you have in your mind a specific shape you will see things that aren’t artifacts just natural formed rocks
Btw- is that a laundry tub filled ?? That’s a lot of rocks [emoji15]

you could be right , but just in case … I'm going to clean and post a few of the better ones that I couldn't convince myself to accept as natural … and yes that's a laundry basket lol like the song says … you may be right -- I may be crazy

but try to keep an open mind until tomorrow evening when I find and post some of better ones … its too late tonight I'll wake the little ones up - but after work I'll get some better ones up

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on yet another crazy note … I also notice that there is nothing modern to be seen around this area , not even a hint of hunting parties like this area was sacred or maybe taboo who knows … but this is a well know area for artifacts and I find more modern stuff all around the area but nothing around this site later than middle archaic or so , no wood land , no flakes or modern flint workings … nothing but odd relics of some kind of bird cult lol

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nary an artifact in the lot. All natural rocks.

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nary an artifact in the lot. All natural rocks.

I haven't posted very good examples yet … I should have waited until I cleaned some better ones to post but jumped the gun a bit …. I have some that will be very hard to deny - so try to keep an open mind until you see some better ones

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you think the stacked stones are from civil war era soldiers ? I have not found any war relics in this particular area but I have not metal detected the site

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted very good examples yet … I should have waited until I cleaned some better ones to post but jumped the gun a bit …. I have some that will be very hard to deny - so try to keep an open mind until you see some better ones

Unlikely that I, or others will affirm your rocks as being artifacts. They are rocks. Native Americans took great pride in their art. They didn't craft objects to be subjective or open to interpretation.
It's a bird or it's a rock.
It's a turtle or it's a rock.
It's a fish or it's a rock.
There's no in-between

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, no artifacts in pictures posted. I am afraid your imagination is leading you astray.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will use a discussion from Seinfeld between Jerry and Elaine talking about Jerry's obsessions when Elaine says to Jerry; " You're just a quirk or two from full blown dementia". Nice rocks.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I bet your stacked rocks are a previous form of boundary (property) line marker...

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your on a rock pile site, which are well known here is New England but it seems there are pieces of it in other states, I know Georgia and Arkansas have some. You are in the minority on the art rocks and unless you have a thick skin I wouldn’t bother trying to convince others. Try the portable rock art museum for some info, but sadly it seems many willing to admit they are into these rocks are a little odd and obsessive, myself included. The guy who runs the museum will let you post Some pics on his site without judgement, but I suggest you look at the collections posted and maybe it will help you understand how difficult it is to see what the finders see in their rocks. It helps to not get insulted when others don’t see what is obvious to you. Most of all, it seems you got it right, don’t take it to seriously, it’s just for fun.

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your on a rock pile site, which are well known here is New England but it seems there are pieces of it in other states, I know Georgia and Arkansas have some. You are in the minority on the art rocks and unless you have a thick skin I wouldn’t bother trying to convince others. Try the portable rock art museum for some info, but sadly it seems many willing to admit they are into these rocks are a little odd and obsessive, myself included. The guy who runs the museum will let you post Some pics on his site without judgement, but I suggest you look at the collections posted and maybe it will help you understand how difficult it is to see what the finders see in their rocks. It helps to not get insulted when others don’t see what is obvious to you. Most of all, it seems you got it right, don’t take it to seriously, it’s just for fun.

I notice they are hard to photograph .. I am currently pulling some that are easy to see for cleaning and photo logging , I have also discovered that artist clay pressed over an engraving gives a rendition of it that will blow you away .. I was amazed how clear it makes the engravings look raised on the clay . I showed the engraved rock to someone who could not make the engraving out at all - then I showed them the clay impression and it was clear as a bell to them …. had to do another impression in front of them to prove that it came from the engraving . If you have trouble showing someone ..give the clay a try . Its amazing to have someone walk away awestruck instead of thinking about early dementia's .
I fully expected the responses I'm getting and just observing atm … the plan is to keep posting a few a day but progressively better and better ones as it goes just for the entertainment of watching the struggle to shoot them down get progressively harder …. it should get pretty interesting when they become obvious to the blind and still have people trying to shoot it down .
As crazy as it sounds I plan on being the one to bring them into the fold of accepted artifacts and truly think I have more than adequate evidence to do so … I have been collecting , researching , and studying these for a bit now .. but knew better than to open my mouth until I was sure I had enough evidence to back it up .

Kudos for having the gonads to speak in a positive manner this soon … I really didn't expect any positive post before they started getting good …. I am planning on some converts in the near future … but like I said kudo's for a nice post before seeing my hand : )

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, just don’t let it take over your life.

Last edited:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice they are hard to photograph .. I am currently pulling some that are easy to see for cleaning and photo logging , I have also discovered that artist clay pressed over an engraving gives a rendition of it that will blow you away .. I was amazed how clear it makes the engravings look raised on the clay . I showed the engraved rock to someone who could not make the engraving out at all - then I showed them the clay impression and it was clear as a bell to them …. had to do another impression in front of them to prove that it came from the engraving . If you have trouble showing someone ..give the clay a try . Its amazing to have someone walk away awestruck instead of thinking about early dementia's .
I fully expected the responses I'm getting and just observing atm … the plan is to keep posting a few a day but progressively better and better ones as it goes just for the entertainment of watching the struggle to shoot them down get progressively harder …. it should get pretty interesting when they become obvious to the blind and still have people trying to shoot it down .
As crazy as it sounds I plan on being the one to bring them into the fold of accepted artifacts and truly think I have more than adequate evidence to do so … I have been collecting , researching , and studying these for a bit now .. but knew better than to open my mouth until I was sure I had enough evidence to back it up .

Kudos for having the gonads to speak in a positive manner this soon … I really didn't expect any positive post before they started getting good …. I am planning on some converts in the near future … but like I said kudo's for a nice post before seeing my hand : )

:laughing7::laughing7:

You crack me up. Go ahead and keep posting your progressively convincing rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread