Hello! I'm new. Any opinions on this rock?

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just signed up today and am kind of excited after reading through the threads over the past week. A lot of good reading and information.

I'm leaving for the next week so it might be a bad time to drop something and leave but you all seem to have had a lot of fun without me so why not? Ill look at the replies when I return.

I hope to be of value to the community having been looking about for many years in dark places.

Anyways.....

I have a stone and have long been curious if it is man made or natural. I wanted to put this to the group in case others had seen something like it in the past.

My guess is it's natural though a real unnatural oddity. It is ovoid with several lateral bands around it. There is signs of impacts at the poles like it may have been used as a striker at some point but it could be just from being moved around too much as everyone has looked at it for god knows how many years. My theory is that this symmetrical stone sat for eons somewhere where a water level rose and fell very slowly up and down for extended periods. This stone happened to lay in a position where the line would be nearly perfect lateral to the stones horizontal axis. For some reason the exact middle of the stone has the widest band. Am I going too far out of my way to be an indian rock skeptic? I need to know as I start my journey here.

Here's the pics, hope this works the first time Thanks for looking!

IMG_20190820_094430281.jpg IMG_20190820_094444544.jpg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! Cool rock. I’d guess that it’s not an artifact, but I’d’ve kept it too.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Saguache

Jan 12, 2019
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live on a huge aluvial flow with a bazillion naturally warn rocks. Anything that is that symetrical is unique and a keeper.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I’ll say this is just for the sake of spitballing because I don’t know what it is but maybe a trace fossil something round like a seed or a coconut or an egg etc. filled with sediment long ago and the actual fossil wore away leaving a cast inside that was then subject to erosion itself

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I’ll say this is just for the sake of spitballing because I don’t know what it is but maybe a trace fossil something round like a seed or a coconut or an egg etc. filled with sediment long ago and the actual fossil wore away leaving a cast inside that was then subject to erosion itself

I like the way you're thinking. That being said, vertebrae?

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural rock... Not an artifact or fossil... though I can't say if it's worn into that shape or if it's was formed into that shape -- as in a concretion.

the creek gang

May 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, I just signed up today and am kind of excited after reading through the threads over the past week. A lot of good reading and information.

I'm leaving for the next week so it might be a bad time to drop something and leave but you all seem to have had a lot of fun without me so why not? Ill look at the replies when I return.

I hope to be of value to the community having been looking about for many years in dark places.

Anyways.....

I have a stone and have long been curious if it is man made or natural. I wanted to put this to the group in case others had seen something like it in the past.

My guess is it's natural though a real unnatural oddity. It is ovoid with several lateral bands around it. There is signs of impacts at the poles like it may have been used as a striker at some point but it could be just from being moved around too much as everyone has looked at it for god knows how many years. My theory is that this symmetrical stone sat for eons somewhere where a water level rose and fell very slowly up and down for extended periods. This stone happened to lay in a position where the line would be nearly perfect lateral to the stones horizontal axis. For some reason the exact middle of the stone has the widest band. Am I going too far out of my way to be an indian rock skeptic? I need to know as I start my journey here.

Here's the pics, hope this works the first time Thanks for looking!

View attachment 1744650 View attachment 1744649

I would of picked it up and kept it! Cool!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it looks like a piece of sedimentary rock that spent YEARS in a hollow in a stream bed and was washed over and tumbled constantly.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I agree with Steve, it's a concretion/nodule.

Not sure where you are located, but in Indiana and Kentucky those are often chert. Yours is a bit more "ridgey" but some of the small, uniform cannonball nodules can look like that. You'll see a lot of them with hammer marks where ancient (and modern) knappers would try to split them to see if there was quality material inside.

Here is a picture of Wyandotte chert from Indiana. There are a lot of other varieties that come out of different limestone deposits.

Wyandotte_chert_nodule.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread