jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_9188.JPG IMG_9189.JPG IMG_9190.JPG IMG_9191.JPG

IMG_9189.JPG Wife found IMG_9191.JPG this one ... double chamber reed pipe ... almost cleaned ..one chamber opened , next one started . From the bird heads on the cleaner bowl .. I'm guessing Mississippian ... southeastern ceremonial complex likely .. but I could be wrong …. what looks like clay or something holding it all together appears to be made to only look that way … it's looking like it may all be the same rock …. tricky art lol

thought's ? … anyone seen one before ? …. I cant really find anything to compare it too online ….

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not tricky at all. I don't see one nor multiple bird heads. Also, what is a cleaner bowl; a Double chamber? I've not seen these terms in any artifact glossary but I've not seen it all either! I think it's a concretion that formed around something (such as a root) and eventually eroded away and left the channel & casting. A geofact. JMHO

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double Chambered Reed Pipe... I’ll apologize first... I’m sorry but I had to laugh at that one.

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cleaner chamber of the two and the bird looking figures come together at the rim of the cleanest chamber ( still in cleaning process ) was packed in very old crude

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the first pipes did not have stems , they used hollow reeds to insert into the pipe ….

OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really people the hollow part of a pipe is called the chamber …….. jeez … just forget it … just move it to geofacts …. I think I may have over estimated the crowd here

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren’t a real member of Tnet until you get chastised, anyways. Don’t take it personal.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was a pottery lug at first.......its most likely a concretion. They drilled the pipes with reeds and sand for future reference. What the NA used for a pipe stem is dust by now. The hollow part of a pipe is called the bowl or the stem also. Chamber huh.

Last edited:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it’s not a pipe it’s cool. Take pics of where the stem would insert, not seeing it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning also to concretion. I have no idea how you'd smoke it.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure bout that one , there’s a few beaches I hunt that have a lot of similar items ..... the area is rich with iron deposit and it forms some really crazy shapes many of them hollowed out. What material is this made from ? Can you post cleaner pics of the inside ?

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
really people the hollow part of a pipe is called the chamber …….. jeez … just forget it … just move it to geofacts …. I think I may have over estimated the crowd here

No, you didn't over estimate, you UNDER ESTIMATED the crowd here. I think most of us realize about stem and reed usage for pipes. Many trade pipes and others require a stem and sometimes but not necessarily a reed is used. Wrong again on the hollow part; it is the bowl and shaft. You just didn't get the supportive answers you expected and that is why you're pissy about it. I've seen this attitude MANY times.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post video of a demonstration :laughing9:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think you could smoke with that without burning the crap out of your nose lol.

I think I could--and I have a big nose! :laughing7: Pack it tight and turn it side-ways!

Edit: M.S. ... I thought you Californian's were experts on this subject! :evil5:

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeff... I'll only tell you the truth about what I'm seeing as most others here will too. No need to coddle an incorrect assumption. There's no shame in being wrong. Maybe embarassment but being ignorant and trying to stand your ground is pathetic! You have to be thick-skinned in this hobby. I've got a concretion that I once thought was a spoon or something of the sort. Boy was my face red when I found out and eventually accepted the facts about it. It now lies in my yard with the rest of the lab specimens. I've been doing this for 50+ years. I should have papers but I don't. I'm just an avocational flunkee! The silent ones here either just don't know or think you're already taking enough of a beating. Welcome to Tnet!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeffdt1966

Oct 20, 2018
middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
then then you should have no problem admitting your wrong then … it is an artifact that is only partly cleaned … it does have bird looking figures on the pipe bowl … the bowl is fully drilled to the point the hollow reed was inserted to smoke out of …. yes there are multiple examples of single bowl stemless pipes from the same period... the shallow larger dimple is the bottom and the well known Mississippian ring is coming out nicely on the bottom . Yes I will excuse the hell out of your personal opinion being the same as facts in your mind … If you truly believe that this is a geofact …. fine , but remember … in real life it's still a pretty rare artifact ….

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Jeff I am sure looking forward to the day you come back and rub every doubters nose in it after you get it thoroughly cleaned,......or admit you were incorrect.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you didn't over estimate, you UNDER ESTIMATED the crowd here. I think most of us realize about stem and reed usage for pipes. Many trade pipes and others require a stem and sometimes but not necessarily a reed is used. Wrong again on the hollow part; it is the bowl and shaft. You just didn't get the supportive answers you expected and that is why you're pissy about it. I've seen this attitude MANY times.

This is why I stopped giving opinions.

but...

At first glance I thought it was a crude NA wedding vessel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread