Possible hand axe?

OldQuest

Oct 8, 2019
N California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found on my property in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Looks like granite.

IMAG1007.jpg

IMAG1004.jpg

IMAG1008.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I see nothing in pictures posted shows any signs of being worked by man.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree it does not appear to be a native american relic. I do not see any peck marks often seen in some area even when the relic is polished, the remnant of the shaping process.

Sometime with a softer material than granite or other metamorphic stone, the stone may be flaked and then also pecked and polished. I don't see that either.

The material in the latest photo appears to me to look more like limestone.

OP
OP
O

OldQuest

Oct 8, 2019
N California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty sure it's granite, but there is still quite a bit of reddish soil adhering to the pits, making it a bit deceptive. If you look at the most recent shot where I'm holding it on end, you can see a darker inclusion speckle just right of center, indicative of granite.

The point and edges look abraded to me, but not as if being struck by a hard blow, but maybe as if it were used to crack open acorns.

OP
OP
O

OldQuest

Oct 8, 2019
N California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It may not be an artifact, but I'd put money on it being granite or a related igneous rock such as diorite. I've cleaned off more of the dirt and attached a video where you can better see the granular structure and an occasional quartz crystal glinting in the sunlight. The video also shows the difference in roughness between the hand side and the point. Video runs about a minute.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread