another cobble bar spotting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Mimetoliths[/h][h=2]
Well-meaning people with a new interest in fossils(or artifacts) can pick up
chert nodules, concretions or pebbles resembling bones, arrowheads, stone axes, skulls, turtle shells, dinosaur eggs, hammer stones etc., in both size and shape.[/h]
Not to be confused with this word[h=1]Pareidolia[/h]Edited from wikipedia. We all find natural things that look like other things. Its called mimetoliths. Keep on it.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents, it looks like you're in an area that was once covered by glaciers. Most of the larger stones that you've posted have deep striations caused by glacial weathering. This happened when pebbles picked up by the glacier, some 10,000+ years ago, gouged along the stone's surface, leaving deep groves.

I will occasionally run into rocks like that in the stretch of woods that I hunt in Massachusetts. The main giveaway for these types of rocks is the fact that the grooves seem "gouged" horizontally into the stone rather than pecked, and there are often many grooves of varying depths on the same stone. They all run parallel in the same direction around the stone.

Glacial weathering will often reveal different stone "layers" in the groves. This is due to the mechanism of erosion, with the rock weathering off in layers. You typically don't see these layered grooves on Native American pecked stone axes.

The next time I see a similar rock, I'll send a picture in this thread. In the meantime, here's an example of glacial weathering that I found online. You can see that this example has the beginnings of groves forming. The major characteristics are a) many parallel groves and b) you can see the layers. If this process were to go on farther, it could produce larger, deeper groves or other interesting shapes.
DOPs6axa2sR4pqAiwc_mSJ4iUsTwpIQ1Auq29hU1ydA.jpg

Although they are not Native American, your finds are equally interesting in their own right. They bear testament to an incredible process by Mother Nature that is many thousands of years old. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nunyabiz111

Jun 15, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indeed, to say the NW corner of this province isn't/hasn't been one of the most stubbornly farmed and inhabited washes of glacial till anywhere would be an understatement and is often well represented in all reaches and heights of this river valley, from going high on up to deep hole in the bedrock:

View attachment 1861037

View attachment 1861038

still, some other people in the area seem to have gotten notice of these oddonesout...(not mine, although same river)

View attachment 1861039

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread